Average turn around on Nikon service

icog

<p>Hello everyone,</p>

<p> I have a D600 with the the well documented shutter issues so I'm wondering how long the average turn around time is for Nikon service. I typically wouldn't worry about time and just send it in but I've been informed that I must move soon and don't want to worry about being around to receive it. </p>

<p>Thanks for any help.</p>

<p>It varies very much, but sure you can also get an average time. The standard response from Nikon here is 2 weeks, and then I call the service department manager, then I can normally pick it up in the afternoon or latest the following day at 14:00 hrs !! OK he is aware I live far away and sending photo equipment by mail is definitely not recommended -:(</p>

<p>Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like I'll try to get it in tomorrow. I love the camera and bought it knowing about the issues but figured I'd take a chance especially as I was able to take advantage of the steep discounts on the new kits after the 610 came out. Can't wait until it comes back. </p>

<p>I don't think I would expect anything quick right now. I'm sure they are loaded up, and parts have to be an issue if there are as many of these situations as we are led to believe on the web. If you don't have a second dslr to use in the meantime, this might be a good time to think about adding one. Or you could get really intimate with your old P&S camera.</p>

<p>Most of all, I would be patient with them. Those people go to work every day just like we do, and I'm sure they are going to get through this the same way we all get through tough projects. Send the camera, and forget about it. You will see it when you see it.</p>

<p>Roy my only concern on the time is that I have to move and want to know that the camera will arrive while I'm still here. The house is going to be demolished so there won't be anyone here to collect it if it runs over my time. I do have another camera, I use a Pentax K5 for wildlife so I'll have that while the Nikon is being serviced. </p>

<p>Lionel, is your D600 completely unusable at this point so that you must get it fixed immediately? Nikon's service advisory specifies that they will essentially repair any D600 dust issue for free forever; while it is not literally forever, but service will definitely be available for several years to come.</p>

<p>If you are moving within another month or two, why not wait until the move of done and the address is fixed before you send it in for repair. Otherwise, can you use a friend's address as the return address? It is unwise to create some potential trouble for yourself.</p>

<p>Thanks Shun, that's what I've decided to do. The camera isn't completely useless but I can see spots even with the lens opened to 5.6 and I hate post processing. I find that as long as I don't have a lot of sky or light colored walls I'm okay. I still have the Pentax so I'll just go back to using that for the most part and just use the D600 where I absolutely have to go wide. I knew this might happen when I bought it but I have to be honest and say I don't have any regrets about this purchase. I just returned from a mission trip in Baja and it did everything I needed and then some. </p>

<p>If the problem persists, by all means send your D600 to Nikon. In the mean time, you can wet clean your sensor to see whether you can fix the issue, at least for a while.</p>

<p>I recently had to wet clean the sensors in both of my D800E and D700. I used the D700 to capture product images of the Df and D4S, with the cameras on a white background, and I used f16 to gain more depth of field. Those dust spots are showing up like crazy.</p>

<p>Good move Lionel. Shun, for macros I have used the dustoff reference to handle minor stuff. But I recently had the same experience as Lionel. I did a wedding on March 15, and although the D600 with a 70-200 did not generate anything that showed up on photos, it did need blowing out with the rocket blower. It generated about 250 images for that wedding. In a March 22 wedding I used it for only about 100 photos with a 70-200, and this time it created debris that actually showed up at f 5.6. I don't care to do a lot of processing when I have 500-800 images involved, so I decided to let Nikon have a crack at it. It is my backup, so I sent it and forgot it. I got notification that Nikon received it, but I don't expect it back any time soon. Not planning to shoot a wedding anytime soon either, so it isn't a problem. I use my D800E for everything I do normally, so I won't miss it. I am second guessing myself about sending it in. I have read reports about cleaning it up after a big debris episode and not seeing further problems. On the other hand, I don't want someone telling me that a member of the wedding party has a wart that has never been seen before, and I failed to catch it in reviewing the photos.</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

just my recent experience of Nikon UK - they did a lovely job of fixing my 70-200 which had been dropped and perhaps knocked one or more of the elements slightly out as the left hand 1/4 of the pictures was soft-focussed. But.....it was away from me for 4 weeks and 1 day!<br>

After 2 weeks they called with an estimate, but it took a further 2 weeks to do the work. They said that they were extremely busy.<br>

So, if you need something doing, just be prepared for a LONG wait.<br>

Andy Chubb</p>