Which MacBook: 2011 with SSD & upgrades or a basic new one?

I need a new MacBook but can't decide whether I'd be better with a maxed out, used 2011 model or a fairly basic new one with the Retina

display and Haswell processor, but which I couldn't upgrade.

The 2011 one I'm considering is the 15.4" screen version. It'd would come with a 256gb SSD, 12GB RAM (and the option to boost this to

16GB), a quad core i7 2.3ghz processor, and I could add an extra hard drive by removing the optical drive. It also has a few months of

AppleCare left on it and it's within my budget.

My budget for a new one limits how much I could upgrade from the basic model. I could just about afford a 13" Retina model with 8GB

RAM and a 256GB SSD. Without AppleCare. And that's allowing for an education discount through the Apple Store, and even for their

refurbished prices (if a 13" Retina with 8GB RAM ever chooses to appear!). I'm concerned that a MacBook with this spec wouldn't be very

future-proof. On the other hand, Im not sure that a used 2011 machine is very future-proof either.

I previously used a Mac Pro for large volumes of photography work but I've changed careers since then. As such, I won't need to

regularly dump hundreds of RAWs onto this new machine. But once a photographer, always a photographer. I do want to give myself the

freedom to work on smaller volumes of images, graphics, and possibly short videos, if the need arises over the next few years. I also

need to be a lot more mobile now, hence I'm looking at laptops rather than desktops. Other than the occasional image work mentioned

above, I'll use it for everyday tasks (lots of writing, reading, and watching videos). It'll be my main/only computer.

What would you do? Is there another option which I'm missing?

<p>There have been enough recent changes in the Macs and in the OS that I'd recommend a newer one in any case.</p>

<p>I would recommend stuffing as much RAM into the thing as you can - some models are user-upgradable, check for that, since you can often buy memory cheaper than Apple will sell it for.</p>

<p>If you only need a laptop for occasional portable use and your old one still works, consider a new iMac. The price for one with a large, good monitor is not much more than for the monitor alone, and they are beautiful to work on.</p>

<p>Given the situation you described I would get a non-retina 2012 or 2013 models with the 15.4" screen. You'd also have flexibility to change the drive and add ram later as needed.<br>

I personally am using a rmbp 15" with 16GB and its very nice, but it is was a choice for me between 13" Retina and 15" with quad core etc. I would choose the bigger one. But that may not suit you.</p>

I've now found a non Retina 2012 15" which has been upgraded along the lines of the one I mentioned above, and also some 2012

Retina 15" models which are within my budget but which aren't maxed out. So ... I'm back to the original quandary: which

would be better: a non Retina 15" which I could upgrade or a new/newer 8GB RAM Retina one with all the new

technology but without the ability to add power should I need it?

(Edit: Thanks, Barry. I have paid attention to what you suggested. I'm wondering whether that will be the general consensus).

<p>If the retina 15" are 16 GB that may be the one to get. OWC has a method for swapping the ssd drive for a bigger version when you can afford it. The ram upgrade is much less than the SSD upgrade. Don't forget also, if you get a retina screen version which I really like, you will have to get an external burner if you want to read or write DVDs or CD's.<br>

Good luck on your choice whatever you choose.</p>

<p>Don't know on your last question. I see differing opinions. My last 2008 version mbp maxed out at 8 and it was fine. Newer programs tend to use more and more ram. So who knows a couple of years from now if 8 will be adequate. Probably. Other thoughts??</p>

<p>Forget retina, it's the lowest priority imo if you are on a budget and going used. Horsepower is more important. Even if it is 2010 model, find an i-7 that you can take to 16gb of ram. OWC also has shuttles to replace the dvd drive so you can add a second hard drive. If you put an ssd as your main drive and a western digital scorpio black 750 gb hdd as a second, you'd have a great laptop. Consider the late 2011 model as well? A brief skim through google shows they seem to be okay but double. 2011 models give you thunderbolt</p>

<p>Eric said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I'd be stay clear of the early 2011 model. Google "macbook pro 2011 gpu failure" that is currently effecting the 15 and 17" models.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>As far as I could tell, the only widely reported GPU problems were with <em>early</em>-2011 MacBook Pros. I found no reports of GPU problems with <em>late</em>-2011 MacBook Pros. I bought a refurbished, late-2011 MacBook Pro 17" quad-core i7 last year from the Apple Store, mainly because it was the last 17" MBP that still came with an ExpressCard slot (I use a CF adapter for ingest via the ExpressCard slot). The late-2011 MBP maxes out at 16GB (recommended).</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Lindsey, if you're most seeking longevity (which it sounds like you are) then I'd go for the newer but less decked-out model. There is always a chance something could fail even on a new unit, but this is mac we're talking about here, and overall it's quality stuff. Even without being able to afford Apple Care you should be fine - just take extra special care of it. ;)</p>