In a quandarry: GX1 plus 25/1.4 or M1 plus 22/2

<p>I'm due to go on holiday to Cambodia for a couple of weeks. I want to travel light and have decided to only take one setup. So my (self-inflicted) choice is as the thread title. Which combination to take? The M is better for landscape and has nicer colour rendition but suffers from laggy AF plus is a whole stop slower, the GX1 excels at Street and low light but will not pull as much out of a rich, Asian scene and Angkhor Wat in early Spring is on the agenda. Neither one is dreadful for either job. One way to think about it is, which would I be most devastated to lose? That is definitely the GX1 plus 25mm. But does that mean I should take it with me to a place I'll very probably never go to again in my life?<br>

Hhmmmm.</p>

<p>Is it possible to get a new m4/3 camera? The new sensor in GX7 is a great improvement over the one in GX1. Alternatively you can get the Olympus E-PM2 for around $400. Are you going there with just ONE lens? Why? 25/1.4 may not be wide enough to say the least … I also don't know what M1 is? The AF in Olympus EM1 is outstanding, even for some basic tracking. </p>

<p>Sorry, heri, it's the Canon Eos M (1)<br /> No, it is not possible to buy a new camera! I just bought the Canon two-lens kit and the Leica lens. :-)<br /> Why only one camera and lens? I do not like faffing about and I like to keep as light as possible.<br /> CC do you have the GX7 <em>and</em> the GX1? I handled the 7 when I bought the Leica 25 and the form and ergonomics cetainly didn't put me off, but I have no over-riding desire to own one as yet. Mainly due to little decreased noise.</p>

<p>for the life of me, camera manufacturers arrive at confusing model names for their products. I remember when Leitz with their Leica M-1 was unhappy with Olympus M-1 creating the Olympus OM-1 to "appease" the complaint. Now we have more M-1 designations, I'd think the companies could be more creative and inventive in naming the cameras.</p>

<p>Canon M1...it does sound kind of cool. As far as which to take, I'd take whichever camera is going to give you the best pictures. For the rich landscapes AF speed won't matter a bit although you may want it for city action. I'd love to shoot Angkhor Wat with my M because I know just how the color will be captured. Either way, I hope you share some of your pictures when you get back!</p>

<p>If landscape is your things, either lens is too long. You don't have the kit lens? I don't have the GX7. I bought the Olympus E-PL5 instead as I could not wait for Panasonic to put a new sensor into a more affordable body. The IQ of E-PL5 is significantly better that GH1, which I also own. I also have the 12-35/2.8, which is fantastic, although pricy, ideal lens for your trip perhaps. For traveling, I typically bring either the 12-35 or the 14-140 plus the 20/1.7 to cover a large ground without too many unnecessary lenses. </p>

<p>I don't do zooms. I just tried two exposures; one (high quality kit) zoom, one 22/2 on the M1. There's no contest. I don't understand why you think either 35 or 50mm equiv. FL is "too narrow". It's Ankhor Wat- not exactly shooting against a wall here!</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but after much experimentation I can say that the GX1 combo has superior resolution, not to mention much better AF. I think I was a little seduced by the Canon colours, but after spending another weekend with both cameras in the same conditions I came to the conclusion that my Canon zoom had developed a fault. I looked ay some archive shots and it had not. I had been using the Panny purely for SP, but in controlled circumstances it still blows away the large sensor, even with the very good 22/2 it is better. This shot below has been a bit of a revelation. I will upload the complete file for the membership to peruse.</p><div>00cTG0-546525884.thumb.jpg.c5e39fe201010a7204d8f6c6412635c6.jpg</div>

<p>Good to hear that about the GX1 and that is a really a sharp photograph. I just got my GX1 back from Panasonic for a warranty replacement of the rear screen which had the coating flaking off. It wasn't a timely or smooth event but they did repair it. After a month with the Fuji XE1 I'd forgotten just how fast and responsive the GX1 is. Although the Fuji is superb at high I really can't see any difference between the two cameras at base ISO. I pair the GX1 with the excellent 14mm Panasonic for a small one lens kit. In the hard to define bokeh area my Panasonic lenses (14mm, 45-200mm, & 14-45mm) appear noticeably better/smoother than the Fuji 18-55mm zoom. </p>