travels.

Everything I find is either a small-sensored

point and shoot or a full DSLR like the

D5300, which is bigger than I want to carry

now. I am also aware of GPS smartphone

apps and other external GPS loggers, but would prefer

something simple and automatic, especially

since my wife will often have the camera

and she is not interested in setting something like that up while traveling.

Thanks for the help.

<p>That's a great tool. Thank you.</p>

<p>I visit DPReview all the time, but have never noticed the feature select page. Regrettably, as we know already as soon as you click GPS as a feature, my options drop to zero, unless I accept a 1/2.3 inch sensor or a DSLR.</p>

<p>Funny thing is, the 1/2.3 inch sensors of today, probably produce better low-light photos than my 8-year old D50. </p>

<p>[[you click GPS as a feature, my options drop to zero]]</p>

<p>The Nikon AW1 has a 1" sensor and has the advantage of being quite rugged and waterproof (with the appropriate lens) which seems like a pretty good feature for a travel camera. The downside is cost.</p>

<p>I was also eyeing the Lumix ZS40 -- impressive specs for such a small camera -- as an alternative to carrying a Pentax K-5. An issue is battery drain and time to lock on to a location. That may be improved in this new model. If you don't have a lot of time before you depart, perhaps you could get one from a place like B&H where you could return it if your testing proved unsatisfactory. </p>

<p>Thanks, Bruce. </p>

<p>I actually took advantage of an instant rebate and bought my wife a Fujifilm XQ1 last night. Compared to the SZ40, it has a slightly larger sensor, which hopefully means it will provide better quality images. I suspect it may also have a slightly better build quality, though the zoom is a lot less and there is no GPS. </p>

<p>I bought it through Amazon, so if I get a chance in the next 30 days to compare it to the SZ40 and decide I made a bad choice, I can return it.</p>