Minolta XE advance lever issues

<p>Perhaps someone can shed some light on this: I have just acquired an overall great condition Minolta XE-1 ans it's giving me small but annoying problems. The advance lever, as smooth as this thing is in general, has an inconsistent operation. <br>

1. Quite often, after releasing shutter, I cannot advance film until I play with the lever a bit, then it goes, it's never a lot of fiddling, but it's there frequently enough<br>

2. the lever does not return on its own, if I let my finger off gently, only if I "snap" it at the end of its travel, then it snaps back (I have taken the lever off and the small part with which lever engages by its small pin seems to be moving and snapping back without a problem, so it appears to be some adjustment in the way the lever itself is mounted)<br>

3. sometimes it seems that I advance all the way, but it is not enough (shutter won't release) and then I have to take the lever to end of its path again and with some authority, then I can continue shooting.</p>

<p>Short of getting a professional service, it's often worth taking the base plate off an SLR and sparingly lubricate any moving parts thus exposed. Its usually easy to remove the base plate via two or three screws, but be careful not to dislodge any small springs etc. Also introduce a drop of oil to the winding shaft at the top.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"it's often worth taking the base plate off" <em><strong>John S.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>Not in this case.</strong><br /> From a posting in this forum on Nov 29th, 2009:<br /> <br /> "There's a one way pivot on a ratchet mechanism. This pivot has a direction change once you get to the end of the XE7/XE5/R3 advance stroke. But first a light duty spring design has to be used for the recoil back to a neutral position. (Very easy to access <strong>once top prism and advance top plates</strong> are removed.) A simple drop of light lubricant <strong>after a solvent wash</strong>, the pivot will move as it should; quick & light. No more unpredictable advance lever "stick out" jamming." <em>On my next XE7/XE5/R3 repair I'll post an image for the record...</em><br /> <br /> <strong>From Service Manual</strong><br /> <em>Page 2 of theory pages - Film Advance Operation Lever #0126</em><br /> <em>AND</em><br /> <em>Page 16 of parts catalog pages - <em>Film Advance Operation Lever Set </em>#081-0126-01</em></p>

<p>I appreciate my advice to take off the base plate may not always be appropriate but there had been no responses to the question when I made the post to that effect. Its good that subsequent contributions to the thread have been more informed, hopefully leading to Witold solving the problem.</p>

<p>I cured mine of this problem by removing the wind lever, spraying in some cleaning solution, replacing the lever and working it a few times. The inability to wind on is due to the mechanism preventing you from winding on twice not getting out of the way in time. It usually only happens if you try to wind on immediately after pressing the shutter. A short delay helps.</p>

<p>Ah, Steve has it correctly stated that the short jam happens when advance is attempted immediately after shutter release.<br>

Secondly, thanks Gus for your input, it seems to make sense just as well.<br>

I've been busy with other stuff recently, so have had no chance to try a fix yet, and it will take even longer before I can. But thanks for the input which along with the copy of repair manual should take care of the problem. I have another body of EX that suffers from similar problems but less frequently, so it all makes sense even more. These are fantastic cameras and will put them into hard use soon enough.</p>

<p>"<em>It usually only happens if you try to wind on immediately after pressing the shutter</em>" <strong><em>Steve S.</em></strong><br>

As the camera is designed to function that way, you should always be able to do that.<br>

<em> </em><br>

<em>"A short delay helps" <strong><em>Steve S.</em></strong></em><br>

But not necessary if the camera is up to factory specifications...</p>

<p>Gus,<br>

You are correct, one should be able to wind on immediately after exposure. There is a problem which a short delay solves, for whatever reason. I'll make sure to report back if and when I get this sorted. It does not prevent picture taking, but it is an annoyance.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"a short delay solves, for whatever reason" <em><strong>Witold G.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>This isn't speculation</strong>, it's the "light duty spring" I spoke of, which is part of <em><em>Lever Set </em>#081-0126-01, </em>that's pushing slowly through the congealed/failed lube at the "pivot/ratchet/lever".<br /> <br /> As <em><strong>Steve S.</strong></em> stated: "<em>spraying in some cleaning solution</em>", can in fact make it's way to this "lever" to make more fluid the return action; but doing this in an area that has other lubricated surfaces along with electronic components, is tantamount to spraying a fine watch with WD40 because it isn't keeping proper time...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As <em><strong>Steve S.</strong></em> stated: "<em>spraying in some cleaning solution</em>", can in fact make it's way to this "lever" to make more fluid the return action; but doing this in an area that has other lubricated surfaces along with electronic components, is tantamount to spraying a fine watch with WD40 because it isn't keeping proper time...</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /><br /><br />I agree that it would be if done as you describe. However, I removed the lever and applied a minute amount of cleaner. In fact, I think I just applied a couple of drops rather than spray it in. And it would be of little consequence if it found its way to any electronics as it was Servisol electrical contact cleaner (WD40 would also be o.k. with electronics).</p>