6D - Buy now or wait?

JamesFarabaugh

<blockquote>

<p>Adorama now has the 6D body on sale for $1,289 with free shipping</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Could you post a link to Adorama showing that price?</p>

<p>As far as I know, Adorama had refurbished 6D for $1289 recently, not new ones, and such deal is no longer available.</p>

<p>Glenn, in this case the seller is not Adorama. Instead, it is "beststopdeals."</p>

<p>In any case, most likely, the 6D will get cheaper and cheaper. There is no point for the OP to stretch in order to get any current deal as long as he doesn't have to have a 6D immediately.</p>

<p>I am not familiar with the seller that I referenced and, although they appear legitimate, would check feedback carefully before placing an order. And I would make sure that any camera purchased has a USA warranty. Caveat Emptor. In any case, dealmac.com is a good source for finding camera bargains.</p>

<p>I'd recommend an f2- lens over either an f2.8 or (god forbid) an f4 zoom for this task. Frankly, unless you are planning on opening the box and immediately selling the 24-105/4 you are wasting your money if buying the camera for extreme low light shooting. It will be a <em>handicap</em>, not an asset, since you could get an old 35/2 + 50/1.8 + 85/1.8 + 6D for nearly the same scratch (especially if you bought the lenses used) as the 6D + 24-105 kit. The imagery (in this realm) that you'll be able to acquire with the primes is in a different league. </p>

<p>Marcus, I don't know which body you're using, but IME the 24-105mm is an incredibly versatile lens, particularly when combined with a body with excellent high-ISO performance, like the 6D.</p>

<p>Shooting with a bag of primes can be a handicap when you need flexibility. The IQ of your primes will hardly be noticed as compared to properly shot and process work with the 24-105mm.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone, and sorry for leaving the my own thread for so long (I was away from reliable internet access).</p>

<p>Jim, are you saying you could capture a meteor streaking across the sky at ISO100? Nonsense. Not even at f/1.0 would that be possible. The attached is an unmolested raw capture at ISO1250 f/2.8 (converted to jpeg via UFRaw, resized for viewing on this page in Gimp, no other processing operations in either step). The meteor, hardly detectable here, was not detectable at all on the in-camera LCD display.</p>

<p>Keith, refer again to the attached image. This is ISO1250, f/2.8, 21 seconds. There is a meteor and the Milky Way in this image - you may have to brighten your monitor to see them!</p><div>00cHTM-544612384.jpg.b16997102e0ab188f1e9fddac1ffe009.jpg</div>

• 5 months later...

<p>Thanks Jeff! Have you any 1st or 2nd hand experience with their "street price" deal? They claim </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The 6D + 24-105L for $2099.95 is indeed from an authorized Canon USA dealer with free shipping is included and they do not collect sales tax to Arizona. They are an authorized dealer (a reputable one that we already list on our site), it is US model with US warranty.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Their FAQ about it seem on the up-and-up. They say the dealer credentials are secret because of "minimum advertised price" rules authorized dealers must follow. I just don't want to get taken by some scam, so I am cautious.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Just to put this one to bed... I did end up buying the 6D through CPW's "street price". Everything turned out great - not a scam! Haha. Both CPW and the dealer they put me in touch with were quick and responsive. To anyone else who is trepidatious about buying through the secretive "street price" option I say go for it! I found out I was just psyching myself out because I didn't understand how MAPs work.</p>