White Sands Morning and Evening?

mariodennis

<p>All--<br>

I'm planning a photo trip to NM in September and will be spending about 2 days in the Alamogordo/White Sands area. I've done a good bit of research here and elsewhere (Laurence Martres' book; Cheyenne Rouse's e-book) already, but would like some input on the value of early morning entry. I've planned my arrival for the full moon, and I'm planning on two evenings. I may need to pay the $50 late exit fee for the second night--no problem. <br>

I need to decide whether it's worth $150 to catch the sunrise. The sun comes up about 0643, meaning I'd need to enter at 0600, a full 3 hours before the 0900 park opening. That means $150 (3 hours @ $50/hour). However, I'm not sure whether the morning colors are likely to be worth that much money. Furthermore, my understanding is that as the day goes on the light tends to be rather flat, so it may not be worth spending a 13-hour day to catch sunrise, mid-day and sunset. <br>

I realize that this is a rather subjective issue and I'm not against spending the money if I'm likely to capture something special in the morning. So, I guess the bottom line question is, would you spend $150 to catch a sunrise at White Sands?<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>Good question. It can be a drag to wake up so early, and spend 150$ and maybe not get any images that you like. But, unless it's incredibly overcast, I'd say absolutely YES. Consider camping overnight if possible. The dunes look great under the light of a full moon. And it's cheap, maybe 10$ or something like that. As for sunrise there, it's such a different feel and color from sunset and you only know it if you are there to experience it. I'd get there and get set up by 5:00-5:30 if they'll let you in that early. You could get some dune shots under light of full moon. Also you have to consider how fickle weather can be. What if it ends up raining later in the day each day you are there but it's clear in the AM? I think the Sept full moon is earlier in the month and that's the tail end of their summer rainy season(late afternoon storms). That could be a bummer. <br>

As for the 13 hr day there, you could always go in/out. Three Rivers Petroglyph park and Valley of Fires lava beds aren't too far. You could easily hit those in between.<br>

Good luck!</p>

<p>Several of my friends have been there. All their better photographs were made before sunrise/after sunset and in the first/last hour max of sunlight. Unless there is unusual light and/or cloud conditions, its much less worth staying there all day, and a pity to waste any of the maybe 2.5-3.5 hours a day when you can really photograph well.</p>

<p>I'd like to camp, but I'm flying from VA and don't want to mess with a tent/sleeping bag. It won't be that chilly. Would they let me sleep in my SUV? <br>

Maybe I'll check Alamogordo and see if anyone rents camping equipment. <br>

I'll probably spend the money to maximize my opportunities. I appreciate the thoughts about potentially fickle weather--something I hadn't really considered.<br>

Thanks for the input!</p>

<p>I was going to say no to your question based on memory, but I went ahead and looked it up in case I was wrong. The answer is still no: http://www.nps.gov/whsa/planyourvisit/camping.htm. You could backpack in about 1 to 1.5 km to the designated backpack camp. I would guess that backpacking equipment can be rented in Albuquerque at least. Alamogordo is a fairly modestly sized town and it's not geared much towards tourists or outdoor recreation, other than by having food, lodging, and gas. It wouldn't hurt to check, though.</p>

<p>I agree about the flat light most of the day. I got in at the regular time (but near the winter solstice) and was not impressed by the lighting, and I ended up mainly with 'trip record' snapshots. Nevertheless, it was still a really cool place to visit.</p>

<p>Definitely early morning for gentle light and shadows on the dunes, hoping most of the dune ripples are still untrampled by inconsiderate photographers. The Yucca, basking against the rising sun, colorful gentle clouds, and setting moon, make some good drama. Be careful not to get lost as you go further in in pursuit of more pristine dune terrains.<br /> <br /> See <a href="http://www.davidmuenchphotography.com/portfolios/white_sands.htm#.UuL8qioo5mM">some shots by David Muench</a>. I went with him some years ago.</p>

<p>Thanks, all. I did check on the vehicle camping after I posted and saw that it's not permitted and the 10 camping spots are on a first come-first served basis. So I'll break out the cash and go early and again at sunset.<br>

I'm guessing that cell data coverage is poor or non-existent there, so I'm considering borrowing a handheld GPS.</p>