X-pro 1

ruslan

<p>As I see the price - it is going down in my country. <br />Here is a question - 1) does the rear display have anti-scratch coating? Or should I keep it from friction at clothes? <br />And 2) How does the Nikon adapter increase the crop-factor for Nikkor lenses? <br /><br /> The adapter is thick (according to the images online), so 50 mm lens is <em>not</em> 75 mm equivalent. </p>

<p>Unless the adapter has optical elements, it should have no impact on the crop factor at all. The physical size of the sensor in the Fuji is smaller than a full 35mm image frame causing the "crop" factor of about 1.5<br>

A 50mm lens used on the Fuji x-pro 1 would have about the same field of view as a 75mm lens on a full frame 35mm (or full frame DSLR).<br>

I don't know if Fuji used an anti-scratch coating. I've not had any issue with the X-E1 but my camera rides in a shoulder bag more than around my neck.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Unless the adapter has optical elements, it should have no impact on the crop factor at all.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Wrong. It does. The aadaptor <em>has</em> its thickness. <em>The thicker the adaptor</em>, the more it does influence on increase equivalent FL. <br />Try to move the lens off the body at least 2-3 mm looking into the SLR VF (any camera) and you will notice how the image dramatically gets larger and the angle of view narrower. If the flange of the lens were attached to the flange of the camera's mount (without an adapter) - it would be 1.5 crop factor. </p>

Think of it this way. The lens is designed to be mounted a particular distance from the film or sensor. This is called the

flange distance and it's the same in all Nikon SLRs regardless of crop size - 46.5mm. This is the distance from the plane

of the sensor's sensitive surface to the plane of the mount ring. On the Fuji X line the flange distance is 17.7mm, so that's

a 28.8mm difference.

A well made Nikon F to Fuji adapter must be 28.8mm (a bit more than an inch) thick. If it were a bit more thick, the lens

would focus closer than intended and not hit infinity focus. Not thick enough and the lens will not hit its intended close

focus and will focus past infinity.

Timothy is of course correct. When using a correctly made adapter with a Nikon lens on an X-Pro1 the distance from lens

to sensor is the same as it would be if the lens were mounted on, say, a D7000. The crop factor would be the same - 1.5x

- because the sensors on those two cameras are the same size. Your manual focus 50mm lens would have the field of

view of a 75mm lens used on an FX camera.

Also, the LCD is glass. It won't scratch under normal circumstances but you can scratch it by dropping it or with metal

objects. If you're concerned you can get screen protectors - plastic film that sticks on, and if that gets scratched you can

easily replace it.

Also, for use with adapter lenses check out the X-E2. It had a higher res and faster refreshing EVF than the Pro1 and you can't really use the OVF option in the Pro1 when manual focusing anyway.

<p>The only adaptor I know of that would address the difference in angle of view between full frame (35mm film) and crop (DX, Fuji X) is the Metabones speedbooster. Otherwise all other adaptors would still leave you with the equivalent angle of view as you would obtain from a Nikon DX body. Having just moved from Nikon to Fuji I have spent the last while researching and shopping and didn't find any other options to change your angle of view.</p>

There's actually also a speed booster knockoff called lens turbo that sells cheap on eBay. It's not an exact copy - the crop

factor is a bit different and the image quality is degraded a bit. And of course you could also try simulating the effect of an

adapter that's too thick by putting an extension tub between the lens and the adapter...

<p>Just be aware the X-E2 is smaller in size than the X-Pro1. Enough so that some of us don't like it at all and use the X-Pro1 instead. It is a matter of which is more comfortable in use which makes a big difference in our images. Fighting a camera that is too small is not fun. Since getting the X-Pro 1 things are much better.<br>

Both produce good images so it is a personal choice.</p>

• 2 months later...