Nikon FG mirror stuck up

doga_d

<p>For the first time I was testing my nikon FG in a photo studio and mounted one of those sync devices to control the fill light. At the very first try it worked like charm. However for the second time I press the shutter, somehow the mirror locked up.<br>

Tried to switch to B or M90 modes to release it, didn't work. Removed the batteries, didnt't work, opened the back of the camera, didn't work.<br>

Now it's totally stuck up there and have no idea what to do.<br>

Any suggestion rather than taking it to a shop to get repaired ?</p>

<p>The camera was first built in 1986. By this time (2013), the (foam) rubber cushions on many older Nikons have gone soft and sticky. It may simply need a little help to pull the mirror down with a finger nail (for Wotan's sake do NOT force it, if it doesn't come down easily, leave it). Then you will need to have someone replace the foam or do it yourself with one of the kits widely available on the internet.<br>

On the other hand, it is not impossible that the mirror mechanism has really been damaged, in which case you will need to have it serviced by a professional.</p>

<p>If you can't get it fixed, it's cheaper to get a "new" one. I'm running six FGs (home, work, different films), and I don't think I paid over $45 for any of them, some even cleaned up with new seals for that. And except for the first, because they were considered amateur cameras in their time, they're all virtually mint. It's a great camera--I've had lots of cameras over the years, and FGs, which I just came onto in the last couple of years, are my favorites--nice size, great finder and ergonomics, just auto enough.</p>

<p>This week I got an Olympus OM2S in the mail from an eBay seller. The price? $12. The mirror was stuck in the up position. I pressed in the button which unlocked B and the manual 1/60. That brought down the mirror. Then I put in fresh batteries. The camera seems to be working nicely. I will run some test film through it this weekend.</p>

<p>Several years ago i bought an FG that the owner said had a problem with the mirror being stuck in the up position . The price was only $20.00 . When i got it , I pulled the mirror down and noticed that the foam cushion was sticky . I replaced the cushion and never had any problems since then .</p>