What's a Good Tripod Case for Air Travel?

dan_v

<p>Actually, I never check any photo gear since I lost two bags full of equipment on a direct flight from Bradley Field to National Airport. So when I fly with a tripod, I take it out of it's padded case and just throw it in a duffle bag as a carry-on that I use to carry some clothes and toiletries as well as other photo gear.</p>

<p>I also carry the head and put the tripod in a checked bag. I used to carry a small tripod with me attached to a backpack that had straps on the side that provided a convenient fit, but after hearing that security wouldn't always let a tripod through (it could be a "weapon"), I stopped doing that.</p>

<p>(I don't even try to carry my monopod aboard anymore, either, for the same reason; that also gets checked. When I carry both heads, my pocketbook weighs a lot!)</p>

<p>Thanks all. Would be more convenient but I'm very hesitant to put it in checked bag. Hope your two lost bags were insured, Joe. Dang, Noreen, hadn't thought TSA might consider it a weapon! Guess they haven't figured out yet that a big ol' carry-on tripod head could raise a nasty lump too.</p>

<p>Leaning toward one of the Gitzo cases if I can pry the $$ outta my clenched fist.</p>

<p>Dan V,<br>

Unfortunately, my 2 bags weren't insured. That was back when I was young and stupid (as opposed to old and stupid), trying to operate on a shoe-string and theft insurance (for equipment or a studio) took a backseat for other needs (equipment, liability insurance, etc.).<br>

I've never had a problem with a carry-on tripod (either a small gorillapod or a manfrotto). I won't claim to speak for everyone. But I probably had a tripod in my bag for 20 round trip flights in 2012 all across the country (Atlanta, LA, Denver, Orlando, DC, Houston, Dallas) and never had an issue.</p>