Canon 18-135 auto-focus lens

<p>It is a tulip lens hood as the the lens barrel does not rotate - at least on the one that got thrown in with a 7D I bought a couple of years ago. The lens inside barrel does extend when zoomed. The lens hood is also not that effective. I assume you are referring to the 18-135 EFS zoom. There is the older lens which was bundled for about $200 extra with the 7D at launch. This is the one I got but I gave it to one of my kids. It is an OK lens with a tulip hood and non rotating hood mount. Then there is a newer STM version - this also has a tulip hood but I have not used / owned it. I assume it is the same as the earlier lens. Both lenses look optically the same just a different drive (for video use) http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/ef-s/ef-s18~135_35~56is.html?p=1</p>

<p>The "official" hood for it is the Canon EW73B hood. If you search eBay for that number, you can find clones ("for Canon" not Canon) for under $2 or even less. Actual Canon-brand, which may, or may not, be somewhat more durable, are also available for around $20 on eBay or from B&H or other on-line vendors.</p>

<p>I buy the cheaper ones for lenses like this that come without a hood (why, oh Canon, is this so?).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I just received this lens. I am curious as to what type of lens hood Canon supplied with it. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>The short answer here is "none". Canon does not, to my knowledge, provide a hood or case/pouch in the box with any lens that isn't "L" (red ring) or "DO" (green ring). Even if you pay them over $1,000 US for the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 (arguably very, very close to an "L" lens for optical performance, if not total build quality), you still get to buy your hood and pouch separately.</p>

<p>Canon does make hoods and pouches or cases for all of their lenses. But unless the lens has a red or green ring at the front, you have to buy them yourself.</p>

• 2 weeks later...