Best Noise Reduction software for early digital cameras

<p>Got a Contax N Digital SLR recently to go with my film bodies and lenses (uses the same mounts), and love it. It produces wonderful images at iso 160 and less, but at 400 the noise in dark areas can be quite bad when zoomed in to 100% (a compulsion with digital). Any suggestions for good noise reduction software that can restore black to jet balck, and eliminate the "dandruff" (iso 400 dark areas with the 2002 era Contax N digital remind me of results one gets from using expired fast negative film).</p>

<p>I have been using Neat Image for quite a few years, starting with removing noise in film scans to high ISO dSLR captures. The program includes an utility to general custom noise profiles for any permutation of film/scan types, camera bodies, ISOs, etc. The site also archives such profiles generated by other users. When a profile is applied, the amount of noise reduction can be increased/decreased as needed. And if that's not enough, a layer mask can be added to isolate specific areas in PS.</p>

<p>To be honest, the best software-based noise mitigation tool of all is <em>selective/targetted editing</em>: it hardly matters which NR software you use if you apply it only where it's needed.<br /> <br /> Dead easy in Photoshop or PaintShop Pro - or anything with layers functionality: just apply it on a Duplicate layer, erase from where it's not needed, then flatten the file.</p>

<p>Do that with sharpening too, and the world's your oyster.</p>

<p>Oh - and <em>don't pixel peep.</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

Randall, are you shooting in Raw format?<em><br /></em></p>