RANT: eBay Vendors & Four Thirds

Aoresteen

<p>Recently I statred using my Olympus E-1. I have been looking for Four Thirds lenses on eBay.</p>

<p>I can't tell you how many lenses I've found listed as "Four Thirds" that are in fact "Micro Four Thirds"</p>

<p>Here's an example:</p>

<p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161110463747&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_2114wt_1362">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161110463747&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_2114wt_1362</a></p>

<p>Why cant the sellers list their MICRO 4/3 lenses as MICRO????</p>

<p>OK, rant off.</p>

<p>I share your frustration. Sometimes I think they run out of space in the heading to put in the word "micro", and they want the greatest number of hits with search words...I've found in the last 6 months that often the phrase "four thirds" gets many more hits than "4/3", so spelling it out takes up space...that's my guess anyway.</p>

<p>A seller not knowing what they are selling on eBay is a very good clue as to whether or not you should be buying from them.</p>

<p>There's a good reason why eBay used to (and I assume they still do) post "caviat emptor" on their site......buyer beware.</p>

<p>Obviously one has to be careful with goods that are not correctly described, but I've had some good bargains from people who didn't know what they were selling, so they weren't found by other people who would have pushed up the price. </p>

<p>(My favourite hate are the inkjet paper and cartridges listed under darkroom supplies!)</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Why the rant?</p>

<p>You should know what you are buying or want to buy.</p>

<p>When I first started my involvement with m4/3s cameras, my lack of familiarity did cause me to confuse 4/3s lenses with m4/3s lenses primarily because the 4/3s gear weren't specifically labeled as m4/3s. Perhaps those selling 4/3s as m4/3 don't properly understand the difference.</p>

<p> </p>

• 5 weeks later...

<p>Don</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why the rant?<br>

You should know what you are buying or want to buy.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Because when you save searchs on eBay that EXCLUDE m4/3, vendors who lable their goods as 4/3 show up in the search and waste my time.</p>