Budget constraint for entry-buyer: Lens or body?

michael_hendriksson

Martin, I would add one more lens to your list, in most situations, ESP. Low light, it will be your best, sharpest and grotto lens -- the Nikon

35mm 1.8 DX lens, new is $199, used ca be had on eBay for less, this is My favorite lens on my D7100

Ken Rockwell also recommends it "For $199.95, this lens is a must-have for anyone shooting a DX camera in available light and who

doesn't already have a fast 50mm lens. It's a no-brainer for low-light.

It focuses by moving only the rear elements, so the filter mount and front elements don't move at all.

It is unique among lenses because nothing moves in or out externally as it operates. Unlike every other Nikon 35mm, 50mm and zoom

lens, nothing moves, so there is nothing sucking air in and out from the outside world as it focuses or zooms. (Of course it doesn't zoom,

but every zoom pumps air in and out as you zoom.)

This is a normal to slightly longer than normal lens on DX, seeing about the same angle of view as a 53mm lens sees on FX or 35mm

film. (see crop factor.)

The 35/1.8 DX is especially great for use on Nikon's lightest DSLRs because of its small size, low weight and AF-S auto focusing which

works on even Nikon's cheapest D40, D40X and D60 cameras. You can get manual focusing at any time simply by grabbing the focus

ring: no switches are required."

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Hi Al,<br>

Thanks for your reply. Just to be sure, isn't this lens the same I mention in my original post? The same that is discussed here and there throughout the thread?<br>

It certainly ranks among the first lenses to be considered <strong>added</strong> to my setup, but not before I have tested the kit lens long enough to find out how it performs indoors with the SB-400 flash. If I am fairly pleased a zoom lens will be where I look to expand first.<br>

//Martin</p>