d7000 Battery Grip - Few Questions

Renee Shipley

<p>Good evening,</p>

<p>I'm considering purchasing a battery grip for my d7000. I don't have a local store to go to in order to see it so I'd be ordering online. I have two questions (right now) that I'm hoping you'll kindly help me with.</p>

<p>Could someone tell me - can you still use a tripod with the grip attached?</p>

<p>And is there any reason I shouldn't consider buying used? I know I could return it if I'm not happy, but if it's a bad idea, I'd rather know at the outset to just get the new one at full price.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance, and have a great weekend!</p>

<p>Renee</p>

<p>I have the grip on my D7000 and I love it. I couldn't imagine not having it. I also bought one for my D600 when I bought that body. You can do anything with the grip you could do without it. Almost. You have to pay closer attention to the bags you buy to carry the camera with the grip. You want the ones that can handle the larger size. Other than that you'll get used to using the controls on the grip quickly.</p>

<p>Assume you're looking at a Nikon MB D-11 and not a knock-off, right?<br>

The difference in build quality between them isn't subtle. Make sure all buttons and toggle pads work properly and that the grip/body electrical contacts are secure. You should also be able to tighten the grip and body such that they feel like one unit, i.e., no flex or twist between them.</p>

<p>I bought a "knockoff" grip for my D7000 and it has worked great. I agree there is a noticeable difference in build quality but I could not rationalize spending more on this accessory given the value of the camera, with the introduction of the D71000. For me, it was worth saving a little money on this item. I have shot ~15,000 frames with it and no problems so far...knock on wood.<br>

As an fyi, I remove the grip when using a tripod and attach my L-Plate which makes for easy transitions from landscape to portrait mode. The RRS L-plate and generic grip together were cheaper than a Nikon grip. For my style, I tend to be all or nothing when using a tripod for a given shoot, so making this switch between grip and L-plate is no problem. Hope that helps. </p>

<p>I may be in the minority, but I cannot imagine being without a battery grip. For the last fifty years of shooting I've added weight to every handheld camera as a means of steadying the shot. I don't like light cameras. This is true both when trying to hold it still and when panning on an action shot. In years past I use to shoot a lot of aviation shots including hundreds of airshows and air races. Having the weight helped a great deal, particularly when it was windy with long lenses. The release in the vertical position is also an essential. While the build quality is important, I think it is probably only an important factor if your use pattern would require it. The price differential is substantial. I use an L-plate and strap attached to the tripod mount on the bottom for my carry point. </p>

<p>I purchased the ATC brand battery grip for my D7000 last September and have had absolutely no problems with it. It does add some heft to the camera and so I do sometimes remove it if I am running around at an amusement park or something like that... but I keep it on most of the time. I find the connection to be plenty secure and sturdy enough to have a quick-release plate on the base so I can attach the camera/grip combo to either a tripod head or my BlackRapid strap. As others have mentioned, the combo of camera and grip does crowd the camera bag a bit, but it fits snugly in my Tenba messenger bag.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your responses & information! I'm going to order the used Nikon grip and I'll make sure I thoroughly examine it & test it for proper working order. I'm also going to get an L-plate! I didn't know those existed, and I found myself wishing for a vertical shot on my tripod the other day. Again, thanks for your time & insight.<br>

Renee</p>

<p>Just an update - my new (used) grip came today. Oh my - so glad I got it, and so glad I got the used one vs. new. You can't tell where any wear is (or at least I can't, considering I've never seen a new one to compare) except on the little wheel that screws the bolt into the tripod mount at the bottom of the camera. Thanks again for your help!</p>

<p>Renee</p>