More than you need to know about new EM-1 from Foster

GerrySiegel

<p>I just skipped through this exhaustive review of the EM-1 from biofos fan site. From a long time E system user and holder of many ED lenses, he gives the whole scoop. And yes, he thinks Olympus delivered on its promise. Olympus has escaped the harbingers of doom for its great older lenses. Interesting and I refer you to this if you have missed it elsewhere.<br>

http://www.biofos.com/mft/omd_em1_prelim_tst.html</p>

<p>I only wonder one thing. Will it work as well with Lumix X series lenses? Meaning will the in camera lens corrections do the same thing as any in body software distortion correction on Panasonic cameras. True, the best lenses are already corrected. Just wondering if there is going to be a real congruence between Panasonic and Olympus. I would like to think so, but still....</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Lens Corrections: Certain lens aberrations are now automatically corrected in-camera and in Viewer 3 and other supporting softwares.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's the statement in the review. Geometric distortion is part of the 4/3 lens specification. Panasonic & Olympus correct for it so long as the lens complies with the spec. Chromatic aberration is not part of the spec. The E-M1 has a new image processing chip and removes it from JPGs regardless of lens brand. Other image enhancements are done for Olympus lenses.</p>

<p>I am glad to see they put in body stabilization from Olympus in latest Panasonic Lumix model, a little more congruence in the consortium bunch, that appears to work well with ED lenses. Not that I use it a lot. Not a deal breaker for we tripod addicts. I would like to personally examine see the electronic finder, but I got to say I have gotten quite friendly with the Panasonic earlier generation EVF and I like it. Would I use my big lenses on the EM-1, maybe. Though as a travel kit I would still use my 12-35 F 2.8, a costly but superb all around optic. For longer lens use, I would see if Panasonic introduces a non constant IS lens at a lesser price. I don't shoot a lot of long tele shots, but it is nice to have. Yes, I have the EM-1 in my sights next year. Leica, holy moley, I can't even afford their standard lenses, the ones made by the Rhinegelt maiden craftsgirls.....<br /> Olympus is back in swinging style with this EM-1.Mirrorless gets to you quickly, for its virtues and lightness...<br /> I say Good, cause we need some innovation and this company has done well with it and thrown in networking and video plug too.<br /> Innovation wise:As Foster says, its cleaning system is still the gold standard. I have an E-1 and E-3 so no hurry to add this new baby.</p>

<p>One typo in the article for anyone interested in the 9-18 Micro Zuiko, he referred to it as a non-MSC lens and that is not correct. The 9-18 M. Zuiko is an MSC Zuiko. The only Olympus Micro Four-Thirds lenses that are non-MSC lenses are the original 14-42 and the 17mm f2.8.</p>

<p>I doubted Olympus could come up with an on sensor dual focus system. They worked on it for a long time. Another thing about Oly is that they do not rush a camera into production. The only flaw in the E-1 was peeling rubber pads, but mine are still on solid. I find it hard to see where so many say the E-1 was the most ergonomic camera in the E stable....though the pressure to reconstruct the look of the OM series and the PEN series was there all the time. Foster did not after the E-5 ever see a comparable camera, and he was half right. But will mirrorless eventually reign? I am beginning to think so.</p>

<p>This is one I have to handle first, Sanford, small chance of that however. We are bereft of real stores, and to tell the truth I don't much miss the ones we were left with.... Olympus once sent a promotional crew to Oahu to show off their little tuna and the big tuna along with the E-1 and the fast zooms. I think I will write them and suggest same. It was a short paid for course in digital photography but it was kind of fun. The class was full, no shortage of OM fanciers who were waiting for an E20 replacement.<br /> Or- better yet- it might be a good excuse to fly to SF for a week, go up to Pt Reyes and the redwoods, or even to Glazer's in Seattle (test out the water resistance:-)). But not while they are so hot an item. Some Maui guy got one from a local distributor, pure luck.....I give it six months and then it will be hard to resist that awful devil in my ear. After all, it will be another four years for the next iteration. OTOH, Panasonic, no slouchers, could pull out all stops and adopt hybrid focus in addition to IBIS. After all, each type of focus has merits.<br>

Do you remember way back when Canon used infrared triangulation to get stepped focus and we thought it was cat's meow, or when we just used "seaman's eye" with microprisms. I can focus as well as my AF cameras, but not nearly as fast.<br>

Erego silicon beats the optic ganglia, and phooey, it can't frame as well as I even with face detection:-). Auto focus has gotten more predictive and clever that is true...</p>

<p>Say Greg, yeah, I read that Sony did some innovation as you describe re sensors just as Canon Pellix did stuff before Sony on transmission and reflection plate. Got to call attention to this page from UK magazine quoting Oly engineer as asserting that Olympus designed the special sensor from experiments in their medical imaging department. I do not doubt him as Oly was first on the block with the dust buster....anyway, just for info, here is the link. " Not off the shelf item" is reported. UK seems a hotter market for Olympus I am speculating.<br>

http://content.yudu.com/A2eump/OlympusMagIssue13/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.olympusmag.co.uk%2F</p>