Nikon D7100 with Nikkor 18-200 VR

sam_ginger

<p>Just stumbled upon this (somewhat old) thread. I also have a D7100 and already own the Nikkor 18-200 VR II. I'm a decided amateur, but like some of the posters, I've noticed a clear difference between my prime lens 50mm 1.4 and the 18-200. I know this is to be expected b/c I'm giving up some quality in exchange for the convenience. But the sentiment w/in the thread is that this lens is not a good fit w/ the 7100. My question is: for a versatile, travel-type lens, what would you recommend in its place? I love, love, love my 50mm lens and use it most of the time, but there are obviously some times where I need a lens with some range. And to have better quality (even if it doesn't measure up to the prime lenses) would be awesome. Thanks!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My question is: for <strong>a</strong> versatile, travel-type <strong>lens</strong>, what would you recommend in its place?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>When you say a lens, if you mean just one singular lens that can do it all, perhaps there is no better compromise than the 18-200mm DX and the 18-300mm DX lenses.</p>

<p>If you perfer higher optical quality, splitting the zoom range into two lenses with fewer compromises as Peter Hamm suggests would be a good approach. In particular, the 16-85mm DX lens is optically very good, but it is a relatively expensive lens for such a slow zoom.</p>