I drowned my 5D

charles_clark1

<p>I was out taking photos yesterday. I had my camera on my tripod, set up on the edge of a small cliff. I turned to say something to my friend. Moments later I heard a terrible splash caused by my camera and tripod diving into the stream about 10 feet below me. It was a sickening sound. I scrambled down to the creek and retrieved my camera. Water poured out of it as I lifted it from the stream. I was surprised at how quickly it had filled. All the lights on the back of the camera were flickering. I turned it off and they still flickered. </p>

<p>I have now assessed the damage a little more carefully. The lens (a 24-105 L) is full of moisture. It no longer has standing water, but it is thoroughly wet. You can't see through it. My camera is similarly drenched. I have not put the battery back in.</p>

<p>So, I assume the camera is fried. I assume it is not repairable. However, since I have no experience with drowned cameras, I ask you if a drowned camera is a dead camera.</p>

<p>The only thing that makes this experience less traumatic is that my camera gear is insured. </p>

<p>Camera suicide?</p>

<p>It is a traumatic event. For cameras; there usually is no return from the watery demise. I had my 40D and tripod topple over while I turned to tend to a video camera on another tripod, it went nose first, the lens hood digging into the dirt. Fortunately it was not water, only soft soil, the repair from Canon about $250.</p>

<p>I would be amazed if this camera comes back to life, even with the help of the best camera doctors at Canon. Fortunately, you have insurance. Sorry to hear about your camera's mishap.</p>

Cheers, Mark

<p>The CF card survived. I was surprised. The next-to-the-last picture was from the cliff edge. Apparently, the impact of the camera on the creek bottom tripped the shutter again. The last photo is looking up through the water before the whole camera filled with water. It is an ugly photo that I am sure I will keep.</p>

<p>Canon probably won't fix it anyway. There are too many possible long term problems for them to guarantee any repair, so they tend to refuse to repair water damaged cameras.</p>

<p>It might recover, though probably not. You should probably put it in a warm dry place for a few weeks to drive off all the moisture. A desicator would be good if you have access to one, or a box with silica gel packets. I've seen it suggested to immerse a waterlogged camera in alcohol to displace the water and aid the drying process, but I don't know if that makes things better or worse. Under no circumstances put the battery back in until you are 100% sure it's dried out. That probably takes 3 or 4 times as long as you think it will!</p>

<p>The lens might dry out on its own, but since it contains electronics, there could be long term problems. I don't know if Canon will repair water damaged lenses.</p>

<p>CG cards are remarkably tough. There are stories of them being put through a washing machine and coming out OK, as well as surviving years underwater,</p>

<p>Nobody ever follows this advice, but:</p>

<ol>

<li>It's great that you removed the battery. Hopefully you remembered to remove the coin cell too.</li>

<li>It's even better that you had the good sense to dunk your camera in fresh water, rather than saltwater! There's hope!</li>

<li>Take your camera and lens, and dunk them in a bucket of distilled water, making sure to fill them completely. Then drain completely.</li>

<li>Repeat #3 at least several times using fresh changes of distilled water</li>

<li>Open up all orifices (battery door, CF door, lens mount) and let air-dry thoroughly above a warm space heater. This may take weeks.</li>

<li>Once the camera and lens are bone dry, reinstall the batteries and see if they come alive. If so, remove the batteries, and send camera and lens to a service center (not Canon?) for a thorough cleaning. The lens may need to have all its (water contaminated) grease removed and replaced.</li>

</ol>

<p>BTW, I've never done this with a camera before, but I've done it successfully with a computer, and this general method is approved by a friend of mine whose job it was to rescue electronic equipment that would occasionally fall overboard and take a swim in the ocean.</p>

<p>Bummer.<br /> Lacking lots of silica gel ( http://www.silicagelpackets.com/2-pounds-loose-bulk-blue-indicating-silica-gel-desiccant-2-4-mm-beads-moisture-absorber-dehumidifier.html?gclid=CKDtju-6_roCFYlFMgodmy4A3w ), people used to leave it embedded in dry rice for a LOOOOONG time. Change rice from time to time.<br /> Maybe more likely to help with the lens, too.</p>

<p>I'd buy a new camera anyhow (the insurer may want the item). Even if the old one can be re-animated, it may not be reliable for prime time.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I've seen it suggested to immerse a waterlogged camera in alcohol to displace the water and aid the drying process, but I don't know if that makes things better or worse.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Great Idea Bob! Immerse it in an18 yr Scotch to ease its pain… always makes things better, well, for me anyways ;)</p>

<p>Good luck Charles.</p>

<p>I dunked my 24-105 in a river a couple years ago. Sent it to Canon that day and they fixed it good as new for a couple hundred bucks. In fact, it was better, as the dust that had accumulated inside was gone, too.<br>

Good for you, having insurance!</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback. <br>

I talked to my insurance company yesterday (USAA). They recorded my statement explaining how I dropped the camera. They verified that my policy covered the loss, and that my policy was for replacement cost and with zero deductible. They put me on hold to research replacement cost. In less than 30 minutes, total, everything was completed and the electronic check was wired to my bank. That was great service.</p>