Alpex 135mm F/2.8 lens - ring any bells?

gwilburn

One of the interesting phenomena of this new digital age is that lots

of folks want to divest themselves of film gear. My brother-in-law

just offered me a gift of an old beater - Honeywell Pentax H1a screw

mount system - and a couple of old lenses. I'm not anti-digital by

any means (enjoy using my Canon G2) but I love film cameras, so I

accepted.

Part of this old kit is an Alpex 135mm F/2.8 lens. I ran an Internet

search and didn't turn up much. Anyone have the scoop on Alpex? (The

name reminds me of dog food :) The lens has a solid metal casing that

looks quite well constructed. Deep metal lens hood. I know nothing

yet about the optical quality. Is this a Soligor / Vivitar class of

lens? Worse? Better? Any info you have would be of interest to me.

Thanks! - Gene

No, it's the lens. I copied the data right off the lens itself. As I said, the lens looks impressively made though I have no idea about its optics. Interesting to come across something like this that doesn't seem to map out to anyone's experience.

I just reviewed some of my old lens books and can find no reference to Alpex. Is this constructed to fit on the Pentax? Also, what is the possibility of being compatable with the 39mm "Leica" screw mount. Can you tell the country of origin? Are the f/stops in the current increments? (i.e. f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6,... etc.) Is the lens coated? Does it look as though the coverage is greater than for a 35mm camera? (What size is the image circle?) My first thought was that it was made for the Alpa Camera, but it doesn't sound familiar.

Sorry that I cannot be of more help,

Alex

<p>Thanks for looking, Alex. Based on a couple of newsgroup references, I now think that Alpex was the short name of a consortium that sold lenses under various names but mainly as Soligor. I found a reference to the same lens in a Nikon mount so it's not uniquely Pentax. Saw another reference to an Alpex with a Minolta mount. Below are some quotations I found on Google. I'd say this is not a fancy lens and not worth a lot :)</p>

<p><i> Soligor is a tradename like Vivitar, meaning

it is not the name of a lens maker but of a

marketing enterprise. Vivitar is a name

originally invented by Ponder and Best who

were also the Olympus importer to the USA at

the time. Soligor was a tradename of the AIC

or Alpex group [Allied Import Export] who

were also the Miranda Camera importer, and

many Miranda lenses were engraved "Soligor

Miranda".

</i></p>

<p><i>Alpex 135/2.8 lens. Beautifully made, all metal construction with fine

optics. Minolta mount. $25.

</i></p>

<p><i>Still doesn't tell us much about the construction of the lens, though. Are you going to be able to try it out? </i></p>

<p>I will test it out at some point but by the time I get it tested this thread will be in the archives. Best guess is that it tests out similarly to most of the Soligor 135's of the era. Probably fine stoped down somewhat. It's a big, heavy lens by today's standards and 135mm, once the standard telephoto for most amateurs, has been supplanted by zoom lenses. The 135's are mostly yard-sale stuff these days.</p>

• 8 months later...
I just picked up the 135mm Alpex in Minolta mount at a pawn shop for $24 and some change. Like new condition. Sure looks well made. Nice satin barrel, smooth focus. Also found the 35mm in Pentax screw mount some time back via eBay @ $10 or so. Photos with the 35mm were crisp in contrast. Can't find any faults. Whoever made Alpex did not spare costs in the finish & overall construction quality on the lens barrels. Looks similar to the Topcon RE lenses with their satin silver finish. A mystery lens?

• 10 years later...
<p><em>Hope this thread is still alive and kicking. I have this lens and can completely agree with Gary Turner's impression of the built quality. I picked mine up in the used section of my local camera store for C$40 use it with a Pentax adapter on my Pentax K10. Mine has an M42 screw mount and a silver satin metal finish and beautifully engraved/etched numerals and was made in Japan. Focus is as smooth as any manual focus lens I have used and includes Zeiss & Takumar lenses. The A/M slide switch moves smoothly into position. I have had many people ask me about the lens as it just stands out in a crowd. Optically, it's adequate with decent color and contrast stopped down a little. I intend to try it as a longer than normal outdoor portrait lens as a suspect it will render soft skin tones. If anyone knows of a Japanese photographer living in Japan I would appreciate if they could do an internet search as info about this lens on the web may be in Japanese. </em> </p>