Nikon Introduces the D610 DSLR

ShunCheung

<p>As new cameras come out I take a close look at them, to see what they would do for me. I'm just not seeing anything new here at all, except for a possibly more reliable shutter (which I already have in the D7100.) Not putting in the D7100's AF system was a huge mistake, I think. No doubt they could have done it and it wouldn't have affected the price all that much. Maybe Nikon was afraid no one would buy a D800 if they made the D610 more capable.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Ha! the first email offering pre-order is here (UK)!</p>

<p>£1799 body only.......and £2299 with the 24-85mm.................that's ~$2900 & $3700!</p>

<p>OK, if the price quoted in the OP is $2000 and $2600, how much will you <em>actually</em> pay in the USA?</p>

<p>So the launch price of the D610 is roughly<strong> double</strong> the current D600 2nd hand price.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It seems to make sense to me. It follows Nikon's fixing a major issue by issuing a new body, getting more people excited and such. Why would you complain? I agree with Ilkka - use it and enjoy it. My camera body has been surpassed by the D7100 in IQ only but none of the other things I use to keep myself in business.<br>

I'm in the market to upgrade my D300s but I need 10-pin shutter, PC sync socket and pro horsepower. My only current options are the D4, D3x, D800(e). They're either out of my budget or don't cover other work well enough. So, like Ilkka, I wait and adapt.</p>

<p>The bottom line for me is that my D600 has suddenly dropped in value (how much remains to be seen) as it's now 'last years model'.<br>

That means if I want to think about replacing it it's going to cost me a lot more.<br>

I have lost my respect for Nikon if indeed this camera is produced only so they can shake of the marred image of the D600.</p>

<p> In the US, body only is $1996.95, so you can save $3 :-)</p>

<ul>

<li>Adorama: <a href="http://www.adorama.com/INKD610.html">http://www.adorama.com/INKD610.html</a></li>

<li>B&H: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008264-REG/nikon_d_610_digital_slr_body.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008264-REG/nikon_d_610_digital_slr_body.html</a></li>

</ul>

<p>IMO, the 24-85mm AF-S VR kit lens should add at most $400 to $500 to the overall price. Expect some price drop for the kit in the coming months, perhaps after the US Thanksgiving for holiday shopping. That was what happened to the D600 last year, when the entire kit with the 24-85 became $2100.</p>

<p>Here is my opinion, for what it is worth, coming from a consumer that Nikon is mostly likely targeting (D600 owner, photography enthusiast/hobbyist). I will not be upgrading to the D610. I have been anxiously awaiting the announcement of an upgrade to the D600 as I have been less than thrilled with my experience with this camera. Coming from the D7000, I was extremely excited to get my hands on a full frame camera. I regret my move. I feel that the auto-focus on my D7000 was superior to that of the D600, and I was really hoping that would be the improvement to the upgrade to the D600. I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more to have that improvement. Besides that, I had an awful experience with Nikon repair to repair my autofocus issue I was having. They fixed the problem, but sent me home with a dirty camera and had to send it back 2 more times to get them to clean it. I realize this has nothing to do with the topic, I just feel as though I'm slipping a little with my loyalty to Nikon, and this doesn't help. Now, I'm considering "downgrading" to the D7100 (although, I feel this would be an upgrade) to get the better autofocus system because I'm not sure I want to keep the D600 for 2 more years. </p>

<p>Here is my opinion, for what it is worth, coming from a consumer that Nikon is mostly likely targeting (D600 owner, photography enthusiast/hobbyist). I will not be upgrading to the D610. I have been anxiously awaiting the announcement of an upgrade to the D600 as I have been less than thrilled with my experience with this camera. Coming from the D7000, I was extremely excited to get my hands on a full frame camera. I regret my move. I feel that the auto-focus on my D7000 was superior to that of the D600, and I was really hoping that would be the improvement to the upgrade to the D600. I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more to have that improvement. Besides that, I had an awful experience with Nikon repair to repair my autofocus issue I was having. They fixed the problem, but sent me home with a dirty camera and had to send it back 2 more times to get them to clean it. I realize this has nothing to do with the topic, I just feel as though I'm slipping a little with my loyalty to Nikon, and this doesn't help. Now, I'm considering "downgrading" to the D7100 (although, I feel this would be an upgrade) to get the better autofocus system because I'm not sure I want to keep the D600 for 2 more years. </p>

<p>I think it would go a long way into re-establishing trust if Nikon would just state that the shutter in the D600 was causing issues and that the D610 has a new shutter that fixes those issues. Wouldn't that leave a better image than the current public relations disaster? Wouldn't Nikon rather look like a company with integrity that stands by its products and admits to problems rather than trying to make believe that they didn't happen?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A full recall of (a million?) cameras...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I strongly doubt that it has been that many - at an estimated 30,000 units per month (for a period of about 13 months), the number is likely less than half of that.</p>

<p>What I don't understand is the following - if the shutter (design) is causing the issue with oil and debris on the D600 sensor, then why would not EVERY camera be affected? If it isn't the shutter (and rather an issue in the manufacturing process), then why would a new one fix the issue?</p>

<p>I think the history of issues with their DSLR cameras that Shun listed (incompletely) above just re-confirms that it is generally a good idea to not buy anything right after the release but wait at least six months.</p>

<p>Shun, Nikon has a history of being ham-fisted in handling defective products. That's nothing new, and it doesn't justify the current behavior. Even Thom Hogan's been complaining about how Nikon treats its customers for years. The big difference, IMO, between the D70 and the D600 is that the D600 shares its market space with the D7000. The D600's stablemate has been upgraded (D7100), the D600 should have been too. The D610 is seeing firmware updates that the D600 should (but won't) get. It's like the SB-900 all over again.</p>

<p>Compare this to Fuji, who had a problem with sticky aperture blades on their X100. They will fix the problem for free, outside warranty. In the US, as of January 1, 2013 they will charge labor ($150, but the parts are free). Coincidentally, on January 1 Fuji announced the X100S (roughly two years after the X100 was introduced). Sounds a lot like the D610, right? Well, Fuji actually added improvements not just BS marketing speak. Fuji added things like on-chip PDAF, revised viewfinder, improved menus and focus-by-wire system. Basically, Fuji took a customer friendly approach.</p>

<p>In contrast, Nikon's just giving its customers the finger and ensuring that there'll be yet another short-lived product. Had they owned up to the oil problems on the D600, announced a recall or some sort of service campaign, and taken another six months (or more) to release a D7100 based FX body I'd be singing another tune. How much do you think an out of warranty D600 shutter or mirror box replacement will cost? My guess is it'll be more than $150.</p>

<p>P.S. I hadn't noticed any further oil problems after the mirror box was replaced on my D600, but Nikon replaced the shutter anyhow while the camera was in for another manufacturing defect. I can't help but wonder if people who are only getting one or the other (mirror, shutter) are only getting a partial fix and are the ones who stand a higher chance of seeing the problem recur.</p>

<p>The D610 comes with an extinguisher....to put out all the negative fires of the D600. Frankly, I'd would be insulted how Nikon has dealt with this (and D800) issues. <em>Shoving head in the sand and saying I see nothing </em>was not the response that I expected from respected firm like Nikon. Naturally, this will follow in sales.</p>

<p>Unlike most, I don't even use the AF module, but I do like the solid integrity of my D700....and until I see a decent replacement for it.....who knows what company will get my $'s ?</p>

<p>Les</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Canon recalled many of their 1D3 and 1DX bodies over autofocus issues. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>No they didn't.</p>

<p>The 1DX was subject to an <em>advisory</em>, whereby people affected by a rare and limited problem caused (ironically) by <em>insufficient </em>lubrication in the shutter assembly having the potential to cause particles to be released which <em>might </em>affect AF, were invited to return their cameras for a tweak that addressed the issue.</p>

<p>Not a "recall over autofocus issues" by any stretch of the imagination.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What I don't understand is the following - if the shutter (design) is causing the issue with oil and debris on the D600 sensor, then why would not EVERY camera be affected?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Dieter, you have answered your own question, as well as Alex's point.</p>

<p>The D600's shutter problem only affects some samples, not every D600. Unfortunately, I have no statistics on what percentage is in which category, but:</p>

<ul>

<li>Some D600 have gone back for cleaning and repair, sometimes multiple times and requires a shutter replacement.</li>

<li>Some D600 require no more than customer self cleaning once in a while, something we do on all DSLR anyway. Some D600 may require cleaning more often than your "average" DSLR, but generally speaking, it is tolerable.</li>

<li>Some D600 have no special problems at all.</li>

</ul>

<p>So if Nikon announces that the D600's shutter causes problems, there will be panic and all of a sudden, a lot of D600 will go back for repair, regardless of whether that particular unit needs it or not. At least to me, that approach doesn't make any sense; it is a total waste of time and effort.</p>

<p>Alex, I am sorry that your D600 gives you a lot of problems. If I were you, I would pressure Nikon to give you a replacement; maybe you could get lucky and get a D610 as replacement. However, it is like "If my neighbor loses his job, it is a recession. If I lose my job, it is a depression." I can understand your frustration. But it is not like every single D600 has major problems. If your problem is not resolved, I guess you escalate it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Even Thom Hogan's been complaining about how Nikon treats its customers for years.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In the last couple of years, Thom Hogan has reached a point that he complains about everything on every company, Nikon or otherwise. I have stopped reading his blog; I don't need all that negativity in my life.</p>

<p>BTW, Fuji's X100 was in production for 2 years? So it makes sense that it gets a more major upgrade. I don't think Nikon plans to upgrade the D600 every year. The D610 is out there to correct one particular problem and to some degree, it is a PR move on Nikon's part. I pull no punches pointing that out. However, they must have planned this at least 6 months ago, and production must have switched over from the D600 to D610 a while back. In other words, Nikon would be extremely stupid to have a lot of D600 remaining in its inventory. Whether it is a good idea to buy a D600 in its close out sale or not is up to each individual to decide, but in case you want a new one, I would get it fairly quickly. However, at least I have a lot of reservation with refurbished D600.</p>

<p>I am very disappointed with Nikon for being so stupid with the way it has announced its "new" D 610. I am a D 600 owner and my camera has just been devalued by its replacement, the D 610. I was not even offered the opportunity by Nikon to replace or trade in my D 600, now perceived by the marketplace to be defective, with its replacement, the D 610. The D 610's new features are really nothing to write home about, and that is another story in itself as many of you have already stated. The DX body Pentax just announced is what Nikon should be announcing. Shame on Nikon on two fronts. It is slipping in its ability to stay abreast of its competition technologically and it again is exhibiting complete disregard for understanding its existing customer base and wanting to treat them fairly.<br>

Joe Smith</p>

<p>Joseph - doesn't that happen with every new product? What about the people buying a D700 just before the D800 came out, or 5D2 just before the 5D3? Nikon can't do anything else because of the Osborne effect. It's not like the D610 wasn't rumoured. My D800E cost me slightly over £3000 when it came out; I just accept that it devalued a lot, and quickly, but it meant I got shots at the Olympics that I would otherwise have missed. Similarly, my D700 arrived in time for me to visit the Grand Canyon. I'd have saved money if I'd got it later, but I'd not have a 30" print from Bright Angel Trail that I quite like.<br />

<br />

I'm a little disappointed that Nikon didn't put the MultiCAM 3500 in there to remove the obvious dichotomy between the D7100 and D600 - there remains a bit of confusion in their product line about which is the "better" camera at that point, though there are also reasons to go with the cheaper of any adjacent pair in Nikon's line-up (except maybe the D3200). I'm sure the policy is that they're trying not to hurt D800 sales, as Shun says (people on this forum clearly say they'll pay a premium for a D800 for the AF module) and that they're only competing with the 6D, which has the same number of AF points as an F6. They're probably happy not to be doing so solely with a price war, if the D610 gives them an excuse to reset. Besides, I quite like the idea of a continuous quiet shutter, especially if (unlike the D800's) it's actually quiet. I'm sure that D700 upgraders would still complain even with a better AF module in the D600 - there's no way to make it D700 build class without increasing the weight (and they were <i>trying</i> to make it light, for one of the same reasons that the 5D2 was popular) and charging more.<br />

<br />

It's a bit "meh", but at least there's no "ooh, be careful" caveat with buying this as there was with the D600 (however rare the actual issues). At least, as far as we know - it's possible something else has slipped past quality control.</p>

<p>Andrew, I disagree. No, it does not happen with every product. The real change in the D 610 is a redesign of the shutter mechanism to eliminate the oil contamination of the sensor that plagued the D 600. I do not consider 6 fps vs 5.5 or continuous quiet mode at 3 fps to be anything really different to call it a different camera. That is just minor tweaking.<br>

I owned a D 700 and a D 300s (and still do) before I bought a D 600. I thought about getting the D800, but settled for the D 600. The D 800 is completely different from a D 700. The D 610 and the D 600 are practically the same camera. Nikon's fiasco with the D 600-D610 is going to make me and many others very cautious before I spend any money on any new Nikon body. Nikon should recall the D 600 now as far as I am concerned. Nikon needs to learn what other smarter corporations have learned when they have quality problems with products--admit it, recall them and get them behind you. In the long run you are way ahead.<br>

Joe Smith </p>

<p>Shun, another option is to do what Canon and Fuji did. Announce a service campaign, fix the affected models, and go to work developing a suitable replacement. Last I heard, people aren't shying away from the X100 or X100s in droves and a year later Canon still hasn't replaced the 1DX. The whole point is that neither of those two companies axed a model after over a year. They acknowledged the faults, fixed them, and moved on. Neither faced widespread panic, presumably neither company suffered massive losses. In fact, the most agitated Fuji users I've seen appear to be those that use their low serial number X100 rarely and only suffered from sticky aperture blades after the introduction of the X100S (so the cameras are > 1 year old). Hardly the doomsday scenario you've predicted. Canon and Fuji have done the proper thing in acknowledging serious problems (in Fuji's case improper assembly much like the D800/D4 focusing problems that have never been formally acknowledged by Nikon).</p>

<p>Nikon ought to be able to come up with a range of D600 serial numbers with faulty shutter/mirror assemblies, publish it, and fix them. I'm sure that not every D600 has been afflicted with the oil spattering... in fact on DPreview the loudest noise seems to come from people who are finding spots (dust or oil, unsure) at ƒ/30.</p>

<p>With regards to the oil issue on my D600, please note that, as far as I can tell, Nikon fixed the problem the first time around with a replacement mirror assembly. I don't know why they replaced the shutter as the camera was in for unrelated problems and I hadn't seen any persistent spots with my 20/4 AI at ƒ/11. The other issues are, as far as I can tell, due to sloppy assembly and (with any luck) user error. If I have further issues that aren't self-inflicted, I'll escalate it with American Express.</p>

<p>The Thom Hogan article I was referencing was originally dated October 18, 2004, so it was written well before his trend towards KR style writing.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nikon ought to be able to come up with a range of D600 serial numbers with faulty shutter/mirror assemblies, publish it, and fix them.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Alex, there is no such thing. I had one of the earliest D600 as a test sample. I used it for a month and half and never noticed any dust problem until I read Roger Cicala's article. And even so, I had to set the aperture to f22 to see any problem (minor to moderate) on that particular camera.</p>

<p>For example, perhaps for those who use their cameras in a dusty environment, their D600 would be more prone to the dust issue. For those who typically use theirs in a clean environment, there is no particular issue.</p>

<p>Nikon did issue a D600 service advisory back in February, 2013: https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18180</p>

<p>It is not like Nikon never acknowledges this issue. I think it is a reasonable approach to let those who have problems to send their D600 in for cleaning or repair. If they refuse/unable to repair your camera properly, especially after a few tries, by all means escalate it. You can always write to Nikon's president if you need to go that far.</p>

<p>Blindly recalling a bunch of cameras, many of which are in perfect working condition, is silly.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The good news about releasing a D610 as opposed to "silently fixing" the D600 is that, on the used market, you know that a D610 shouldn't have the same issue. Nikon presumably feel that for PR reasons they needed to do the same for the new market, even if this apparently hasn't done retailers any favours. Hopefully, on the used market, educated buyers would know that a D600 and D610 are almost identical so long as the "are there any shutter issues?" question has been asked. Uneducated buyers are another matter, but hopefully many would be so uneducated that they wouldn't know about the issue in the first place. If Nikon feel the D600 was a PR problem, I understand the need to separate themselves from it, and it's hard to criticise them for this. I have to assume that Nikon don't <i>know</i> which cameras might have an issue (not least because the consumer may have correctly removed all the oil by their own cleaning and <i>not</i> need a service), and that recalling a big batch isn't an option.<br />

<br />

I was a bit wary of bringing up the D800, because it is so different from the D700. Still, I suspect the majority of people who wanted "a Nikon FX camera" and jumped on a D700 just before the D800 announcement might have done a double-take. The D800 can only match the D700's 5fps if you crop it to 24MP, and can't match the 8fps performance with the grip. Otherwise, there's very little the D700 does that the D800 doesn't do better (speaking as someone who owns both and who expected still to be using my D700 far more than I actually am - though I may change my mind while my D800 is off for a clean). For anyone wanting resolution and choosing between the D700 and 5D2, I'd find the D800 a bit of an eye-opener. There are some who would justifiably still prefer a D700 (especially on price), but new cameras obsoleting old ones is a fact of life.<br />

<br />

A better comparison would have been between the 5D2 and the 5D3: the 5D3 does everything the 5D2 can do and almost everything the D700 can do, and most of it somewhat better. A 5D2 shopper buying on the last day before the 5D3 announcement would really get stung. It happens. But this was the wrong forum for that comparison. :-) (Okay, maybe I should talk about amateur D3 owners when the D700 was launched, or D3 owners when the D3s was launched.)<br />

<br />

Honestly, the D600 is a high-end consumer camera. I'm not surprised it got a respin, because I'd expect it to be on a shorter cycle than the pro models. I'm only surprised that it didn't change more. The extra half fps does give it parity with the 5D3, and I have to think that if they'd put a 51-point AF module in there for a small premium, they may have stolen some more Canon sales; maybe for a D620. But I've no idea how well any of the FX cameras are actually selling - if Nikon's issue is offloading the D600s that are already on shelves with retailers, the D610 is obviously not going to help.</p>

<p>I think that this was a good move for Nikon. The noise about dust or oil on the sensor of the D600 surely was affecting sales, especially in competition with the Canon 6D.</p>

<p>Now those who want to buy a FF camera for the first time, but who are not sure whether they want to choose Nikon over Canon, can proceed with confidence, free of nagging doubts about dust or oil on the sensor.</p>

<p>I read a lot of complaints above about Nikon products. I bought the D800E new almost a year ago and a D3s with less than 40k shutter actuations back in July of this year, and I love them both. They are different cameras with different strengths. I also bought the D7000 used over a year ago--along with several Nikon lenses over the last year, many used through eBay, but one or two new ones.</p>

<p>So, I am one who now feels that he has the basis for an honest comparison between Nikon and Canon: they are both great.</p>

<p>I've had absolutely no problems with ANY of my Nikon gear.</p>

<p>I was the one who posted the <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00axxj"><em><strong>original thread</strong></em></a> about the D600 dust issue that Shun mentioned at the outset, and so I am no fan boy. Now I can say without reservation that I loved Canon (which I shot from 1982 to 2012), but I love Nikon at least as much.</p>

<p>Nikon: Buy with confidence. I think that the same is true for Canon, but the point here is that the dust issue about the "other"great Nikon FF camera from 2012 is now dead, dead, dead.</p>

<p>That said, Nikon should in the future be more direct in addressing persistent rumors and remedying their cause. Failure to do so hurt sales in the case of the D600, and it will do so again if Nikon tries to ignore an issue in the future.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>Gosh, those sparkly engineers have managed to re-invent a shutter that's been in every Full Frame camera since they started and doesn't spray crap every time it actuates....6FPS isn't that great. What was wrong with the D700 shutter mechanism??</p>

<p>I wonder how much the Quiet mode is actually shutter design related as-opposed-to firmware and hardware timing?</p>

<p>The D600 shutter should have NEVER been a weakness....I'm curious how it ever got into production?</p>

<p>Shun, at some point Nikon came up with an updated shutter assembly (and likely a redesigned mirror assembly). Either recall those with the old style assemblies, or announce that (potentially) affected users should send their cameras in. Canon did it. Fuji did it. It's not rocket science. For any giver recall of any sort of product, surely not every user in an affected range is going to have the problem in question. That's life. If Nikon can't pinpoint when they started using less oily bits, they've got bigger problems.</p>

<p>For reference here's what Canon posted regarding the 1D3:</p>

<p><a href="http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_1d_mark_iii?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e0248004cd3d">http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_1d_mark_iii?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e0248004cd3d</a></p>

<p>Here's the link for the 1DX/1DC:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS-1D_X.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:13-1064308&page=1&type=faq">http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS-1D_X.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:13-1064308&page=1&type=faq</a></p>

<p>Compare that to what Nikon posted. In fact, Nikon does not acknowledge the oil issue at all. Neither oil, nor shutter, nor mirror are mentioned on that page. Merely: you, the user are using the camera wrong. That's disrespectful at best, certainly disingenuous and/or incompetent, and fraud at worst. While the D600 is very much an entry-level camera, it's certainly not cheap enough to be considered a disposable camera.</p>

<p>Canon says (1D3):</p>

<blockquote>

<p>After a thorough investigation, we have found that some EOS-1D Mark III cameras may have an issue with the mirror mechanism, which is part of the autofocus optical system. This issue may cause inconsistent focusing accuracy or inconsistent focus tracking with moving subjects when using AI-Servo AF and continuous shooting modes, particularly in high temperatures.<br /> ...<br /> We are aware that some customers have raised questions about the performance of the EOS-1D Mark III AF system under certain conditions. We will continue to investigate, and look for opportunities to improve, the performance of the AF system to ensure the satisfaction of all of our customers</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Canon says (1DX):</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Due to inconsistency in the amount of lubrication which has been applied to the driving mechanism, we have identified a phenomenon in which a small number of the affected products listed below, may over time, develop the following symptoms:</p>

<ol>

<li>

<p>AF searches but does not lock in on the subject. <br />(Caused by minute particles produced by wear due to the inconsistent lubrication mentioned above)</p>

</li>

<li>

<p>The image shown in the viewfinder is “blurry” or “not steady”. <br />(Occurs if wear progresses)</p>

</li>

</ol>

<p>If you own one of the potentially affected cameras, <strong>you are kindly requested to contact one of our authorised service facilities to arrange a free repair</strong>.<br /> ...<br /> <strong>We offer our sincere apologies</strong> to customers who have been inconvenienced by this issue. Canon strives to provide the highest quality products to our customers, and we spare no effort in our quality management to make sure our customers use our products with confidence.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nikon says:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Some D600 users have reported the appearance of random spots on their images which is <strong>generally attributed to the natural accumulation of dust</strong>. While understanding that dust will occur over time, and steps may be taken to reduce the occurrence, the complete elimination of these dust spots may sometimes be difficult.<br /><br />It has come to our attention that, in some rare cases, they may be reflected noticeably in images and removal may be difficult using normal measures. Therefore, Nikon is informing users of a service to reduce this issue.<br /> ...<br /> As a first step, <strong>please follow the guidance from the D600 User's Manual</strong> (pages 301-305) related to the Clean Image Sensor function and manual cleaning using a blower bulb.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nothing's certain, but Canon was able to identify a range of cameras where the problems are known (but not guaranteed) to exist and proactively dealt with it. Nikon just told its customers to sit and spin... repeatedly. My point is that problems in complex products aren't uncommon, yet not all companies treat their customers the way Nikon does. It's possible to do better, and Nikon ought to do better. Period.</p>