Nikon Flashes

marcantel

<p>You know, Danny, I have a Quantum Turbo that I use with Metz 70-5 units for wedding work but I have always worried about hooking it up to my SB-800s in case they weren't up to the work load. I know the SB-900 had problems with over-heating so I was reluctant to risk my Nikons in situations where their AA cells weren't sufficient.<br>

I don't have any technical information to suggest they wouldn't be up to the task, I just already had the other flashes to use instead. I would like to hear if others here have experience with this.</p>

<p>I use a Q Turbo with SB 800's and 900's and never had a problem. Just don't machine gun the flash - any battery pack will destroy a flash if you just keep banging away in auto release on full power.</p>

<p>As for the 900 overheating - more accurately, the flash itself never overheated; it is just that Nikon set the auto turn off temp too low. Just disable the protection feature and don't look back.</p>

<p>I have also used the Quantum battery with SB900 with no problems (other than the problems I had with the units themselves, not the combination of the two), but found that the Impact battery from B&H (among others) -- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/695148-REG/Impact_10052540_Mini_LT_Power_Pack.html -- to perform so much better than the Quantum Turbos that there's no comparison. I strongly suggest you check them out. They also have a cable to the Nikon flashes.</p>

<p>I have shot 1,000+ images at parties in a 4-5 hour span and barely depleted this battery, where I found the Turbos to be quirky. In fact, I now use these Impact batteries with Quantum Trios as an almost-bulletproof solution in high-stress situations. I couldn't deal with he SB900s thermal protection and was apprehensive about disabling the feature and risking damage that would not be covered by warranty. That issue has been well covered on PN, if you're interested in reading the experiences of many. I understand the next-gen Nikon flashes have better thermal control.</p>

<p>Danny said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Which Nikon SB flash can except external battery packs like the Quantum. I'm looking @ SB600, SB700 . . .</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Unfortunately, neither the Nikon SB-600, nor the SB-700 accepts a high-voltage input. Among recent Nikon-branded flashes, only the Nikon SB-800, SB-900, and SB-910 Speedlights have an HV input.</p>