Wedding photography

sandra_white1

<p>I am feeling sick about this and wondered what other photographers do in this situation (if it has happened to anyone else). Last week I was on my way to a wedding when I was t-boned by a guy (not the word I wanted to use lol) running a red light. I woke up several hours later in the hospital. While I am recouping now and will heal, just a few broken bones the bride is (understandably) angry and threatening me now. I can understand that I have ruined her wedding, and I feel absolutely sick about it, it was out of my control. My assistant was with me, fortunately she was not seriously injured, and she immediately called the wedding co-ordinator to let her know what had happened. When I checked my phone there was several angry messages from the bride screaming. I have offered to re-shoot her bridal portraits for free and any other photo's she may want done, I know it doesn't make up for missing her wedding but what else can I do to make this better? My car is totalled, my equipment is totalled but I honestly don't care about any of that, they are just things that can always be replaced. I really want to make things a bit better for this bride and not have her seething in anger for the next 20 years. <br>

Has this happened to anyone else? </p>

I'm inclined to agree with Patrick S., mostly. I can understand how annoying your failure to show up must have been at

the time. But once she heard what had happened, well, I think she should have acquired some perspective.

This is why everybody's contract needs to have an Acts of God clause that releases the photographer from liability in

case of "circumstances beyond the photographer's control." I hope you had such a clause.

Also hope you had insurance — for yourself and your medical bills, especially, but also for your car and our equipment.

I'm afraid that here you just have to get through it. Good luck. So sorry about your bad accident.

Will

<p>I agree with Patrick & William. This bride's response is not acceptable under the circumstances. Ask her what she expected you to do under the circumstances, will be very interesting to hear if she can come up with anything. You have been more than reasonable to the couple under the circumstances and hopefully once she has calmed down she will come to her senses and realise how badly she is behaving. </p>

<p>I wouldn't stress to much about the bride, concentrate on making a full recovery.</p>

<p>Hope you make a speedy recovery and as William pointed out have insurance to help you get back on your feet and replace everything that you have lost. </p>

<p>The only thing she can be upset about is that your assistant didn't show up and do the wedding. As you were unconscious, there really wasn't anything you could do. And it certainly wasn't planned nor intentional. </p>

<p>I think you've gone above and beyond in terms of customer service by offering her the free shoot. Is a wedding important? Yes, but a person's life is even more so. And the bride is fortunate that you are still alive to offer her anything. </p>

<p>I am sorry for your circumstance and I wish you a speedy recovery.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I am feeling sick about this and wondered what other photographers do in this situation."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My businesses carry comprehensive insurance: such an unforeseen circumstance causing the 'no show' and all the matters arising from it would be covered up to AUS$20,000,000.00.<br />I would have expected the Second to contact the Bride as you described. I would offer a shoot of Bridal Portraiture including clothes hire and etc. mostly anything else to make good and I would keep a diary note of all the procedures.</p>

<p>I am particularly happy with my Insurance cover, and also my Insurance Broker whom I have kept for many years. I think that equal to having a good Accountant, a good Insurance Broker is integral to any Business. Both should also <strong><em>understand the business</em></strong>, in which their clients are in. I think these two professionals are, in some ways more important than having a good Solicitor (aka 'Lawyer'): in the respect that these two professionals, if they understand what one's business is all about and they are good at what they do, they act pre-emptively.</p>

<p>If your business does not have an insurance cover: I suggest that you seek legal advice apropos what claims might be made against you and what possible outcomes there might be, in line with the contract that you have signed with the client.<br />If you do not have a (written and signed) contract with you client, then I would suggest you seek legal advice, very quickly.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>I disagree that asking the Bride what she would do under these circumstances will benefit your situation.<br>

What you have disclosed is: you have on your phone angry messages left by the bride. We do not have any timeline and we also do not know the Bride’s disposition upon hearing not from you, but from a Second (whom she might never have met).<br>

In short we don’t know very much about when, why or how the Bride reacted with angry messages.<br>

The best way to manage the Bride, is to firstly be calm and secondly clear in your mind what options you have available and when that is achieved these options should be laid out in a professional and calm manner at a meeting with the Bride. <br>

The focus of your concern should be as to how best remedy the situation your business is in: and in the first inst. not to worry about the Bride's initial anger and threats. </p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Sandra, please don't feel guilty about this incident. Things happened in life and this was one case where there's nothing you could have done better. Wedding photos might be important but it's no more important than life and death. I think some people take wedding photos more seriously than necessary.</p>

<p>I am sorry you were hurt and sincerely hope you are recovering well. You sound like a kind and professional photographer.</p>

<p>If this misfortune was to befall any bride, I suppose we can comfort ourselves with the knowledge that this particular bride is the kind who deserves it. I have no knowledge of the legal aspects of something like this but you are doing more than I would for this ahem, what is the word, it begins with b......oh yea....maybe it was bride, no that doesn't sound right.........I can't think right now. </p>

<p>When tragic things like that happened, I know other photographers just have the professional insurance handle it, they will try to compensate the bridezilla.<br>

You shouldnt feel bad, just relax and recover well. We are all glad you are still alive</p>

In my contract there is a sentence relating to "AN ACT OF GOD." Sure seems like this is one of those things. Something that you can't control.

I carry insurance, thats about all you can do. Recreating some shots is a wonderful gesture and a very fair offer.

Put this in your contract. - act of god

Relax and get well.

I hope you are feeling better.

<p>Sandra,</p>

<p>I think you handled this with as much professional decorum as would be expected. Sometimes, we just get a curve ball thrown our way and have to deal with less than pleasant client reactions.</p>

<p>Don't confront her or in any way ask her what she would do in your shoes. That would just aggravate the situation. Seek legal advice, in case she comes at you with a lawsuit. Hopefully your contract covered you. Methinks any judge worth their salt would empathise and probably reach a fair settlement (where fair in this case is relative, because obviously the day cannot be recreated). </p>

<p>I pray you will have a full and speedy recovery...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you all for your responses, I am feeling better about the situation now that I have read what you have all said. Thanks for the great advice, I did not have an act of God clause but I will have one put into my contracts. The good thing is that yes I did have lots of insurance both on my car, on me and my equipment so I am covered there (and not having to worry about money while I'm recovering). I haven't heard back from the bride since I offered to do some portraits for her but for now all I can do it put it out of my mind and concentrate on getting things sorted out and healing. This is a great forum I'm so glad I found it. <br>

Robert- I am truly thankful not to be married to someone like her lol <br>

Thank you again. <br>

Sandra </p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>I've just seen this post and although it was a while ago I just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery, I hope you are back on your feet now and working again. How was it resolved, did they accept the bridal shoot? I can't imagine how awful I would feel in this situation, but will also be checking through my contract for an "act of god" clause.</p>