Nikon Pure Photography

Dieter Schaefer

<p>Andrew, isn`t it too big for a 10-pin connector? And the location is somewhat odd.<br /> The compensation dial looks to have a locking button... ooops. Nothing like the compensation control on the rear command dial. If so, the aperture control should be on a "front command dial"... we`ll know this soon.<br /> I think ergonomics is not the strongest point in this camera; to me, it has been made for the user` eyes (and senses), instead of the hands.</p><div>00c7wr-543389984.jpg.0b77526c0f8d8eb265a11a9d1db7c23a.jpg</div>

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>it's neither fish nor fowl</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe that's the "hybrid" aspect? Neither here nor there comes to mind when looking at it.<br /> It's an odd mix indeed - which makes it so hard to estimate the price. But since it's Nikon, it is going to be rather higher than one expects anyway :-(<br>

<br /> That thingy on the front next to the Df has got to be a command dial - I assume it is for setting the aperture - at least when the camera is use in the "two-command dial" mode rather than the "select full-stop shutter speed increments with humongous wheel on top" mode.</p>

<p>I just can't get over that monstrous socket the DOF and Function button are sitting on - why, oh why?</p>

<p>What's that dark square on the other side of the viewfinder?</p>

<p>Saw the same numbers, madness if indeed true - we'll see in less than 12 hours.<br /> So, the 100% excitement, 0% disappointment with the first video has now turned into 0% excitement, 100% disappointment for me; I am not sure where my "anger" meter is right now (Df instead of D400, arrgghhh).<br /> <br /> Looks indeed like the D4 sensor is being used - and the D600/D610 AF module; here's the "specs" from the amazon page:</p>

<ul>

<li>Nikon's thinnest, lightest FX-format D-SLR</li>

<li>16.2MP image sensor paired with EXPEED 3 image processing</li>

<li>Dedicated mechanical dials for shutter speed, ISO sensitivity, exposure compensation, exposure mode and release mode</li>

<li>39-point autofocus system with 9 highly accurate cross-type sensors</li>

<li>Compatible with all current AF-S, AF-D and AF NIKKOR lenses</li>

</ul>

<p>From amazon:<em> Due to high demand we anticipate being unable to fulfill all customer orders with our first allocation. Product supply from Nikon is very limited.</em><br /> <em><br /></em>They already know this before the camera has even officially been announced? Talk about wishful thinking - what if the reverse will come true: low demand and high supply?</p>

<p>PS: don't go looking at amazon - the listing has been removed.</p>

Jose: given that it's got a dedicated exposure compensation dial, I assumed you were expected to use the

rear dial for aperture, the only "everything else" option. Nikon don't have a good record for letting you

remap controls that they put somewhere dumb - hence my crossness about not being able to put ISO and

AF on buttons I can reach. Maybe they really did decide on a conventional two-dial interface with manual

"everything" as well - but it seems odd to pick on such an odd choice of control rather than the dials with

good ergonomics that they normally use. I can hope it's a really big cover, but I'm prepared to be wrong.

Dieter, you could be right that they needed two dials because the fixed dials just can't do the required

functionality (as we've known since the F5).

I assume the dark square is an ir receiver, especially if decent remote options are limited. If Nikon are

clever, it's a CLS trigger instead.

Fede: well, putting lots of mechanical dials on a camera is expensive. Guess I shouldn't be surprised. Good

luck with that expected high demand, though.

Don: I've never bought a camera on looks, but I've been glad my F5 is scuffed and looks cheap, and my 28-200 is silver and makes my D700 look not worth stealing. I don't care what the Df looks like, but I'm really

concerned that the handling looks awful. I thought the same of the X Vario, so what do I know?

<p>I do have a screenshot from Amazon about the Nikon Df, but can't upload it right now. It's exactly as described in two previous posts, USD 3000 with the 1.8. I personally think it looks awesome. Actually, the page is still open in my browser and I can zoom in any of the images as much as I like, and I do like to do it a lot. I still haven't seen any of the teaser videos, just followed this forum to get the latest news, and I was actually not that much interested in this camera until I actually saw the pictures now.<br>

And threaded cable release, that almost brings tears to my eyes.</p><div>00c7xj-543390284.jpg.40b5e437e2bb310619ffb8c0898d5d90.jpg</div>

Why have a movable AA filter when you could just put a higher res sensor in? Still, you never know. Oh,

and that port might be an AF illuminator.

Looks like a "collectors' Nikon", like the recent re-run of rangefinders. If so, it's surprisingly cheap, but

otherwise I don't see the point of it. It's a heck of a way to try to make a camera lighter than the 6D. At least

they don't seem to have tied up capacity on it.

And now we get to the bit where everyone stops being excited or at least curious and starts being critical...

(I'm with Dieter about the D400, and I don't even want one!)

Is it me, or are most of the camera manufacturers flailing a bit for ideas? Arguably the 1 series, but this, the X Vario, the Lunar, the Pentax Q and K-01...

<p>Andrew, when I said "madness", was because of the availability of it thru amazon before the release date =)<br>

Price is according I guess, given that it indeed seems to have the D4's sensor. I had hopes anyway for it to be a market competitor on the same price range of the new sony cameras, I guess thats a no. I'd get one just for fun if I had 3k to spare, but I don't, so I'll just wait for my visit to the states and get the D600 or the D610 for about the same price with more lenses.</p>

<p>Well thought out views here on the ergonomics, but there's nothing like getting it into human hands, and perhaps the control buttons are designed to please. Those pronounced buttons on the front appear to provide positive navigation. Seems like if this is true, sleek has taken a back seat to function. First glance, I'm puzzled at the exposure comp dial is not on the right, and that mode selection is, Hmm. Many new Fuji models have the EXposure comp dial on the right like the Contax G2, a feature that was praised by many. Anyway, camera's have been getting smaller, and smaller, and last time I checked my hands have not, so maybe there's something to this.</p>

<p>I have no idea, since I haven't seen the teasers, but to me it looks like any other digital camera's back. I use a D2x and the only unusual things I can see at a quick glance are an "i" button at the bottom of the buttons to the left of the screen (with Menu etc.), and a separate "info" button at bottom right, next to the Live view. But maybe I'm just unfamiliar with some of the more recent Nikons and these are nothing unusual. There is a separate AF-ON switch.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Interestingly enough when I click on the link for Amazon it comes up an error and if I go to Amazon and search for the page its not coming up????????</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As I already said above - the listing has been removed.</p>

<p>What is it with Nikon and pricing - everything lately comes up higher by a few hundred dollars than even the worst expectations? <br /> A built-in viewfinder shutter was too expensive? In a $2750 camera? Glad they didn't eliminate the diopter and had us go back to ocular rings of different strengths (lacking the rubber coating and scratching up glasses).</p>

<p>Now, who is going to be the first to complain that this camera doesn't do video? Not me, I don't care.</p>