M9 or M9P or M-E

carbon_dragon

<p>FILE SIZE. The M9, M9-P and presumably the ME allow for compressed DNG. There is minimal loss with this and many M9 users do this as a routine. The MM does not have compressed DNG as an option. Even at the 18.3MB of my compressed DNG files M9-P files I have filled a large laptop hard drive and now have some of my catalogue on an external hard drive. My next trick will be to backup to an external hard drive at import. For all of the above reasons, the large file size should about now be irrelevant, as you will have to have a solution that does not involve just your main computer's drive anyway. And TB storage is now cheaper than ever.</p>

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Just ran across this thread again and noticed the comment about the car seat affecting the condition of a

bad back.

I got a new (used) car about a year ago and the seats are much more comfortable and supportive than

what I was driving for 8 years previous, and it's made a big difference in how much better my back feels.

• 3 years later...

Hi David, I think this is going to sound pretty silly given our context here, but why not use an old Pentax Spotmatic with film? It's certainly light enough, it has metering ability, and it's great. You can use all the M42 lenses you like, and with adapters you may even use Leica lenses, although I've never tried that. Maybe the flange focal distance isn't right. But the Spotmatic is a very nice camera, and certainly easy to carry around. And you get the benefit of film, the great film, with all the wonderful choices available now.

<p>Once again I'm considering, seriously this time, buying an M9 since the price has fallen a bit more. I have the money to buy one and if I do it I'm trying to decide between a used M9 or a used M9P or even possibly a new M-E. Plus I'm debating black paint vs chrome (or grey or silver) -- in other words finish.</p>

<p>My M8 is a silver grey as are my M2s. My lenses are mostly silver but some black. Price is important but I could stretch to the P or the M-E probably. As far as I could tell, the results would be the same with all the cameras in terms of image. What things would you think I should consider and who would you buy from? I'm inclined to buy from KEH, B&H Photo, or Tamarkin (who I bought my M8 from).</p>

Lisa- if you like to shoot film, this is a great time to pick up an interchangeable lens film camera. The Canon P or Canon 7 with a 50/1.8 lens is more affordable than ever.

This is an old thread, started in 2013. We've seen two generations of Leica rangefinders since the M9 came out. I've skipped both of those, stick with my M9, M Monochrom, and M8.

For an M42 camera: the Spotmatic uses older "CDS" cells which tend to lose accuracy with age. I went with a Fujica ST-801 with SPD meter for M42. The Leica RF lenses cannot be used on it. I did modify my Pentax 50/1.4 Super-Tak M42 lens to Leica RF mount by making a custom cam for it. A great lens.

The problem with the Sony A6R (maybe MY problem) is that it looks like an SLR. Why make a camera that looks like that

if it doesn't have a mirror box?

The "reflex" dome on a Sony A7 contains the viewfinder, which is large (0.5") and has a massive Zeiss lens to render the image without distortion and with uniform brighness and sharpness. The apparent field of view is about 45 degrees (est.), with 23 mm eye relief.

I find even a light camera like a Leica or Sony A7 is tiring to carry on a neck strap, eventually leading to lower back pain and cramps. A sling strap, attached to the bottom plate, solves that problem. The weight is centered, front to back, on my spine, which reduces the stress. I'm currently using a Magpul one-point rifle sling with a Mil-Spec quick connect to an RRS plate on the camera. There's an adapter which will attach that strap to any camera with an RRS plate, including my M9.

It is poor economy to store your photos in a computer. It takes too much space on a derive better suited to storing and using software. An external drive, preferably a RAID, is safer and has all the room you need.