Sigma 60mm f/2.8 DN Art Micro Four Thirds MFT

zhang_wei2

<p>Sigma has released three new primes four micro four thirds. A 19mm, a 30mm and a 60mm. All in a shiny metal housing. The 19mm and the 30mm share the same optical construction as their predecessors. So, no surprises here. Personally, I was never impressed by these lenses. The price is right, but the optical quality, or rather the lack of it, is a deal breaker for me. However, the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 really is something else. I spent some time with it on a Olympus OM-D E-M5 body and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised when I checked out the results on my computer. I want to share some of my impressions.</p>

<p>The build quality is very nice. The barrel and mount are all metal. It's a light weight lens, but it doesn't feel cheap. I had no problems with the build quality of the previous 19mm and 30mm models and this is even better. The focus ring is very wide, but extremely smooth. I never use manual focus and I prefer a texture. I don't think it's too smooth to use though. You have to be really wet and/or sweaty for it to become a problem I think. Besides, you can always put a rubber band around the ring for more grip.</p>

<p>Inside the lens there's a 'loose' element, a 'rogue' element. With the camera powered off it moves freely forward and backward. It sounds like the lens is seriously broken, but it isn't. Nothing new, all the small Sigma lenses seem to have these strange mechanics. As soon as you turn the camera on the rattling is gone. I don't think it's a problem, it's just a bit awkward.</p>

<p>I tried the black version of the lens, but there's also a silver version. The Sigma 60mm f/2.8 comes in a neat white cardboard box. The box contains the usual paperwork, a good looking lens pouch (I never use these things) and a plastic bayonet type lens hood. The lens hood seems a little short for this focal length and maybe it's best to just leave it in the box with the lens pouch.</p>

<p>Focus is fast and accurate. The lens takes a short while to start up though. I think this is because the loose element has to be positioned first. For me this is not a problem, especially when I look at the amazing optical quality. I did not encounter any problems with flare or low contrast in backlit situations, but I guess it can be evoked on any lens when you go looking for it. Just point your lens to a bright light source and you'll probably find something nasty. Contrast and sharpness wide open at f/2.8 are great, really great. This lens is razor sharp! Tests on DxOMark confirm this. The Sigma has a very high resolving power. I dear to say that this lens is as good as the Olympus 75mm f/1.8. A nice opportunity to save some money I think. Unless you absolutely need the bokeh that the 75mm is capable of. The Olympus has both a longer focal length and a wider maximum aperture. The price is 'somewhat' higher.</p>

<p>Another lens comes to mind; the Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro. The Sigma is as sharp, but it lacks the macro function of course. However, you can get rather close to your subject for nice close-ups with this lens. You can get tighter shots then you get with the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and the Sigma is sharper then the 45mm too. Again, this might be an interesting opportunity to save some cash, because the Sigma is cheaper then both of these Olympus lenses.</p>

<p>I can't recommend this lens enough. If you have a lot of money and/or if you need a wider maximum aperture or macro functionality, the Olympus lenses are better. If you want excellent image quality in a very decently build package for an absurdly low price, get the Sigma. It's a gem.</p><div>00bzTV-542472184.thumb.jpg.f22765c95d56ee074b8c5770a71ffc94.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>I dear to say that this lens is as good as the Olympus 75mm f/1.8. A nice opportunity to save some money I think. Unless you absolutely need the bokeh that the 75mm is capable of</p>

</blockquote>

<p>unfortunately, on m4/3 you absolutely do need all the shallow DoF you can get, especially with portrait-style lenses.</p>

<p>Not everybody needs the shallower depth of field that the 75mm f/1.8 provides. Also Olympus 75mm is bigger and heavier (and very expensive). If you want to travel light or if you have a limited budget the Sigma does make sense. The Sigma has a longer focal length then the 45mm. This compensates a little for the faster aperture. I think the Sigma is an excellent alternative and surely the most value for your money.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<p>I have recently purchased all three of the Sigma DN A lenses for my Pen E-PL5. I find it curious that the OP has such a low opinion of the 19mm and 30mm as I find them very fine lenses indeed. I really couldn't be happier with them. Apparently I haven't the budget to have been spoiled by the finest of the finest, but all three sigmas are very good IMO. Kudos to Sigma for offering these at a price point even mere mortals such as I can afford! (And barely at that.) </p>

<p> </p>