Beginner needs info. on Close Up Filters

lynnwood42

Question, I have a Maxxum 5 with 2 lenses. One is a minolta 28-80 AF

D, and the other a minolta 75-300 AF D. How can I take real Close Up

pictures using those lenses?? (and not spend much more $?) I have

heard about some close up filters minolta makes like I was thinking

the +2 close up one. Is that any good? Which lense would I use it

on? Would that let me get closer up and still have a sharp picture?

Any input would be great. (I can't really afford right now to spend

too much money). Thanks.

IMO: The single element closeup diopters aren't worth buying except to play and experiment with. If you buy one, and don't like it, don't give up on all closeup diopters.

The twin element diopters Nikkor 3T/4T/5T/6T and Canon 250D/500D are more expensive but will yeild quality images on many lenses.

If your filter size is 55mm on these lenses, than a 55x62mm step up ring $5, and a Nikkor 5T (twin element diopter) $40 will get you something worth while for both these lenses.

On the 75-300, a 55x52mm step down ring and a Nikkor 3T $30 would be useful at the longer focal lengths but might vignette at the shorter focal lengths and isn't worth considering on the 28-80.

I disagree with the poster about the extension tubes and zoom lenses. They are generally not recommended; for an extensive reason why I'd point you toward some of Shaw's books. In any event they aren't all that cheap anyway.

For Zooms the best option is closeups. After teaching for many years I've found that if one uses a good tripod and take your time you can get some pretty fantastic shots with closeup lenses. I'll even note that some of the pros have been known to use them from time to time, however they generally are using the two element closeup lenses, Nikon and I think Canon both make them. They are pricy though.

When you save up a tad (like in the $150 range) I'd point you toward a good used Tamron 90mm f2.5/f2.8 adaptol macro lens. These lenses are fantastic and a steal at what they are sold for.

Lynn: what has worked for me after a LOOOONG time of experimentation is: A reversing ring. That allows you to attatch your lens backwards to your camera, for really close ups. You will lose automation with the set-up, but you can still meter the subject. The other selection, and my personal favorite, is the 2 element close up lenses marketed by Nikon or Canon. Step-up rings will solve your fit problems, if any. Relatively inexpensive,and very effective. They come in a couple of powers, and I got the most powerful one I could. With close ups, I want it to be BIG! Reversing rings produce larger images, but you have to be careful you don't bang the rear element of the lens on something, you will be so close. Some guys cut the bottom out of a rear lens cap, and use it as a lens hood/protector. Not a bad idea.

I used my 2 element close up lens on a 70-210 zoom for some forensic photos in a case I am investigating, and the results were amazing. About 2X life size , with no mental gymnastics. Thank you TTL and automation!

In his first book on nature photography, John Shaw came up with the darndest hammer mechanic contraption I ever saw. (well, maybe just a slight exageration) It was a gizmo that allowed a normal lens to be screwed to the filter threads of a telephoto, for really large magnifications. If you can find the book, it might be something you would want to experiment with.