LOW LIGHT (JAZZ CLUBS) WITHOUT FLASH

leo_montgomery

<p>Where I have trouble with noise and my 7D is shooting wildlife and birds in overcast situations and I need the ISO up at 1600 to get sufficient SS. If the background is complex and the bird (or animal) is dark, even though I ETTR, I get noise in the feathers and it does crush detail if I try to get it out. My 5D MkIII is at least a stop better before noise becomes a problem. Notice that there are no details in the dark area of the picture of my grand daughter. I had the luxury to lower the blacks to wipe out any details in that dark area. The face was perfectly exposed, so no problem there. Her right hand has a bit of noise, but who cares?</p>

<p>Bottom line, the 7D can work well in low light, but the 5D3 and 6D are a stop or two better, IME. With any of these cameras, ETTR.</p>

<p>No question that the newer FF cameras should be better - other things being equal, more sensor real estate whould always equal better low light performance, and much newer sensors should bring technical improvements to the table too.</p>

<p>Got to say though, I have no qualms about going 1600+ ISO with my 7D in the kind of conditions you describe, David - <em>occasionally </em>I see a bit of more tenacious noise, but generally, no issues at all.</p>

<p>And I'll happily go <a href="http://www.capture-the-moment.co.uk/tp/tfu29/upload/rugby_blyth/hard_tackle_2.jpg">3200 ISO</a> plus to maintain shutter speed when shooting Winter rugby here in the UK. (I didn't <em>need </em>3200 ISO here - Auto ISO did that - but I'm happy to go there anyway).</p>

<p>Well Keith, my own experience is that the 7D can take wonderful pictures at high ISOs. Some people really want to work with a 1.6 crop factor and the 7D is one of the best of that genre, with the new 70D moving the ball forward in terms of high-ISO performance. I'm just saying that the 5D MkIII and 1D X are even better in this regard. The 6D has the same high-ISO a as the 5D3 attribute, but it will not AF at f/8, making it problematic for those that need telephoto reach over 700mm or so. The 1D X is in a league of its own regarding high-ISO performance.</p>