Nikon D7000 Meter Button Stuck - Remedies?

john_h.1

<p>The meter mode selection button on the top of my D7000 is stuck. I pushed it to change the metering mode and it won't pop back up. I can turn the dial to change meter modes and use the shutter button. It appears to be a physical problem. Disconnecting batteries doesn't change anything. This is not a good time to send it out for repair.<br>

<br />Ideas?</p>

<p>You mean the button with the "matrix" icon next to the shutter release button on top of the camera. If you press that down and then use the main command dial to change among matrix, center weighted, and spot metering, and then it wouldn't pop back up, it is a physical malfunction.</p>

<p>Typically such buttons have a little dome shaped plastic piece underneath. When you press the dome down, it should automatically pop back up. It sounds like the dome is damaged. It should be a fairly simple replacement but you need to take the camera apart.</p>

<p>Thank you Shun. That's exactly the situation I am having. <br /><br /><br />Is there any chance, if you know, if I could use some really thin tweezers or something to pull it up so I can use the rest of the camera for a few more weeks and not touch that part or are the results of dome failure going to stay the same even if one can pull the button up? </p>

<p>Thank you Shun. That's exactly the situation I am having. <br /><br /><br />Is there any chance, if you know, if I could use some really thin tweezers or something to pull it up so I can use the rest of the camera for a few more weeks and not touch that part or are the results of dome failure going to stay the same even if one can pull the button up? </p>

<p>Could also be that a piece of debris is stuck between the button and the sides - try wiggling the button a bit and see if it pops up again.</p>

<p>One of my D300 bodies seems to develop an issue with the "mode" button, I push it and change the mode, then release the button but can still change modes. So far, wiggling the button has managed to release it - but this issue could worsen over time and I may need to send the camera in for a cleaning.</p>

<p>Like Dieter, one of my D300 buttons developed this habit and after fishing around and under the edge with a blunted cocktail stick fished out what looked like a small brownish ball, not as big as a poppy seed...and it's been fine ever since.</p>

<p>There doesn't look like there's enough room for something to hide, but I guess there's a softish, rubbery gasket-type material in there it can squish into and jam the button.</p>

<p>That's an intriging idea too but, if there is something in it making it stuck or the dome is damaged, then it may not cure the overall problem. But then, I might be able use it for a little while with one meter setting before addressing the real problem.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Try scrubbing around the button with a fine-bristled toothbrush. Use a flicking action to avoid poking any dirt further down."</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /><br />This seemed safe to try and it worked like a charm! Thank you everyone for your help!</p>