Broken 40mm

jemal.yarbrough

<p>O.k. So um, yeah. I posted years ago about my 40mm limited lens "sticking" and not getting infinity focus. I sparingly used it since then and pretty much had it stuck on my spare k20d. Yesterday, I pulled it out and used it a bit. It would get stuck while turning trying to get focus lock. I would help it by manually twisting the focus ring, not really thinking about it since it had the quick shift focus thingy.</p>

<p>Today I tried to use the lens again. It focused for a bit on things, but then stopped getting focus. I reached around to see if it was sticking. No luck. Then I actually looked at the lens itself. The part of the lens, I will call it the barrel, that extends out of the focus housing was hanging down a bit and there was a gap between it and the focus ring. What the heck? Of course, I tried to get it to go back inside. And to my surprise it did. I think decided to take it off my camera so I could figure out what to do with it. </p>

<p>Well when I turned it upside down to take the lens off the body, the entire barrel came out of the focusing ring body with one tiny black screw. But I could hear rattling in the focus ring body. A couple of shakes and two more tiny black screws fell out. Nothing else. No springs, no flange, no other parts, not nothing. </p>

<p>Has anybody heard of this? Is there an easy fix? I assume not since nothing else is loose, i.e., the screws on the lens mount are there happy and tight, and I cannot even begin to figure out how to screw it back together. <br>

Any help would be appreciated because I currently have a $400, on special lens from Adorama, broken in my hands without $400.00 to spend on getting a replacement lens fro Adorama or anywhere else. </p>

<p>Sad face in Los Angeles.</p>

<p>p.s., I will post pictures of it soon.</p>

<p>May not be relevant but I would suggest to use another battery that is fully charged and try to clean the rear lens contacts. And test your 40mm in another camera. <br>

<br />I have no idea how to clean the rear lens contact but I remember people mentioning about pencil eraser. I will imagine a rocket blower and a clean lens cloth to work with the cleaning on the lens contacts.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yep that's it. I have the screws. Now if someone could just tell me how to put it back together. From what I gather there is a metal circular ring that sits in the center and is screwed down by the three screws. Once that is done, the lens barrel is twisted down in place. Seems simple enough, but it has to end up with the aperture lever in that black semi-circle slot. Has anyone of you guys home fixed this? I will try it myself before begging Pentax to fix it. And this definitely should not happen. </p>

<p><a title="Inside 40mm mount by Jemal Y., on Flickr" href=" Inside 40mm mount src="http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2826/10369104675_9a537db8ff.jpg" alt="Inside 40mm mount" width="500" height="375" /></a></p>

<p><a title="Side inside lens by Jemal Y., on Flickr" href=" Side inside lens src="http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3704/10369354913_8b14f66073.jpg" alt="Side inside lens" width="500" height="375" /></a></p>

<p>Excuse the dust. We are working. lol. </p>

<p>Update: I have the problem in the link. So I bought loktight and took the silver ring in photo 2 and screwed it back down to the base in photo 1. I was able to figure out the screw alignment (I think) by marks on the silver piece. So that part is done.</p>

<p>Does anyone know how to screw the two pieces back together? If you look at picture two there is a groove (two actually) that are used to lock the piece into place inside the base. The aperture pin also fits inside of a lever. However when you screw the piece down you have to get everything to line up just right. Then as best I can tell, you have to rotate the focusing ring to also seat the lens deeper. It is driving me crazy. </p>

<p>Hi Jemal,</p>

<p>I have noticed in the past that Pentax has been quite good about addressing any issue concerning a customer involving a Limited lens. You might try contacting them- it's worth a try. I remember some years back Justin bought a 43mm Limited and was not satisfied with the manual focus smoothness hitting a slightly rough spot. Since the return date for B&H had passed, Pentax themselves simply replaced his lens with a new one. Just give them the particulars regarding your problem, where you bought the lens, and that there has been no trauma to it.</p>

<p>Maybe things have changed since Ricoh took over, but maybe not.</p>