D300 just died...what is the best replacement?

marklcooper

<p>Thanks for all the suggestions. I went with a used D300 body-only off ebay. $370 plus shipping.<br>

Dieter - I'm looking to have a low cost camera body as a spare while mine is in the shop. I've been doing photography with my computer clients for their web sites. The D300 has more than enough capability for that...but...I now need a spare.<br>

Shun - I'd forgotten about the lack of focus motor in my old version 11 - 16. That would not have caused a major issue as long as my D300 is economically repairable. Purchasing the 2nd body for $370 pretty much sets a ceiling for what I'm willing to pay for a repair<br>

Where is a good place to send my old camera for an estimate?<br>

Thanks - Mark</p>

<p>My suggestion would have been what you already have done. I'm also guessing that a repair may exceed your price ceiling.</p>

<p>This is a foreword type environment, & most responses will suggest "<em>newer is better</em>." There is going to be less & less in the used market, post 2008, so there are a lot of D300's going for small dollars.</p>

<p>Get another D300 & have yours repaired ASAP.</p>

<p>While I'm a film guy, I've stared shooting digital in the last 6 weeks. I had a single body but couldn't stand not having a back up 2nd body. All of my film cameras have spare bodies (I have 4 OM bodies). Went out and got the 2nd body. </p>

<p>If you are doing commercial work (ie being paid) you need to a have a plan B back up body. What if it had failed in the middle of your job? You are lucky it failed now; at least you have time to react.</p>