Which backpack for trekking in the Himalayas with DX kit?

adam_nash2

<p>Hello all,</p>

<p>I recently posted this question about which wide angle lenses and flashes to pair with my D7000 whilst spending 2 weeks trekking (mid winder, very cold but very clear) in and around the Himalayas. </p>

<p><a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00byr2?start=10">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00byr2?start=10</a></p>

<p>Following this I am after suggestions on good backpacks to wear on such a trek to hold both my camera gear and hopefully some other stuff as well. In terms of camera gear I will most probably be carrying:<br>

- D7000 (probably around my neck with one of the lenses on).<br>

- My Niikor 16-85, 70-300, 35mm as well as a Tokina 11-16 with a bunch of filters.<br>

- A SB700 Speedlight<br>

- A Lomo LCA+ and a Lomo Belair with a bunch of films in both 35mm and 120mm format<br>

- Some spare batteries and chargers <br>

- Either a Manfrotto or Getz Traveller tripod<br>

- Walking sticks that may double as monopods.</p>

<p>In addition to the above I am sure my girlfriend will try and bung a bunch or her camera gear in there too but let's not consider that for the moment. But it would be handy to get some space for water and snacks for the day too but then again she could always be carrying that so its no big deal. </p>

<p>One thing that is critical for me is that as I have a bit of a bad back a waist strap to take the weight of the pack is essential. I have also been reading that some of these bags have suspension features as well which sound good. Anything to take the weight directly off of my back. </p>

<p>In short I am looking for as compact bag as possible that will fit this gear in snugly and take the weight off my back, any other storage is considered a bonus but I would certainly like to truss poles and tripod to the outside. And if anyone knows of good walking poles that can double as monopods, please let me know.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance,<br>

Adam </p>

<p>How much hiking experience do you have? I am assuming you will be hiring porters to carry your non camera gear. My experience trekking in Nepal is that there will not be much room left in your pack after you pack the personal gear needed for the day's hike: mid to heavy weight insulated jacket, wind shell, gloves, water, energy bars or some food to get you between meals, flashlight, toilet paper etc. It is wise to be relatively self sufficient in case you have a problem, and the above gear is a bare minimum. Porters take off before you and you will probably not see them all day.<br>

Assemble the gear you will need for your day's hike and see how much room is left over for your camera gear. You will quickly discover how much you really want to lug around. With a bad back you might want to decide whether potentially aggravating it is worth the price of carrying too much gear. Nepal is too beautiful to be in misery.</p>

Wow, well said and quite right I expect. Whilst I have done a few treks in the past this is the first circuit I will have done

properly so experience in minimal. Yes I will be using porters and due to the cold I expect to be wearing most of the gear

you mention above but that depends on the circuit we choose.

My girlfriend and I will have our day stuff and our camera gear to carry between us. I, of course, have agreed to carry the

heaviest pack (like the gentleman I am) and we plan to do exactly as you mention on a few weekend trial runs before

hand up some mountains in Oman

You obviously speak from experience, do you have any suggestions for the type of pack I may be after. My back is a bit

of a pain but its not the end of the world. I go kickboxing twice a week and gym everyday so I'm not a stranger to

exercise..

<p>Power to you! Although I follow a rigorous exercise regimen, I find that somehow doesn't seem to help a lot when I try to do high elevation (for me anything over 100 m asl) climbing as in the Grand Canyon.</p>

<p>For me these days, it's "easy stages" but I envy you. I personally travel light when I'm doing even my less ambitious climbs in and out of canyons.</p>