USA family visiting a different country, not sure how much to charge them

elyone

<p>I am being asked to shoot a personnel visit of a family from USA to a different country. It should be about 2 hours of work, certainly no more, shooting their small, about 15 person, event. No formals or setting up of a portable studio.<br>

I do not know what is a going rate per hour, what they would expect, or would think is fair.<br>

I was thinking about $400, which is about what I would charge for such an event for locals.<br>

I have about an hour travel time each way, with probably an hour to two of post production. I will be giving them the disk with the final images, so I will not be worrying about albums and such like.<br>

<br />Is this acceptable to a USA family?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>I'd suggest charging at your local rates. Your business costs don't change just because the subjects aren't locals. If they don't find that satisfactory, they'd need to find one of your competitors and seemingly would get similar pricing. It's hard to predict what they might find acceptable or normal, or if they even have any idea of what typical local (to them at home) rates are. </p>

<p>I live outside Washington, D.C., and this summer took the family on a trip to Fort Lauderdale, Fla. We paid about $400 for a family portrait session on the beach, which included the sitting fee, one 8x10 print and a disc with the high-resolution files to print however we like. From the time we met in the hotel lobby until we got back from shooting was close to an hour, and we spent another hour with the photographer going through the pictures afterward, and in between she spent about an hour editing what she shot. As a photographer myself, I considered $400 a reasonable amount for what we got. I would have gladly paid the same regardless of where we were visting on vacation, whether it was in Florida or another country. So the short answer is yes, $400 is a reasonable price that a U.S. family would expect to pay. I comparing a portrait session against shooting an event, but with a comparable amount of time involved. I'm assuming you are a professional photographer with experience shooting the type of event involved and that you can deliver professional quality work.</p>