fish eye lenses

savagesax

Well I broke my 15mm fish eye lens and sadly Canon decided to get rid of the 15mm lenes and replaced them

with an 8 to 15mm zoom. It's priced around $1500.

Does anyone use this lens yet and do you like the 8mm range? Any image examples would be wonderful.

Thanks

bob

<p><a href="/equipment/canon/8-15l-f4-usm-fisheye-lens/review/">http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/8-15l-f4-usm-fisheye-lens/review/</a></p>

<p>8mm is the typical circular 180 degree fisheye image on a FF camera. If you like that look you'll use it. If you don't like that look you won't. I'd say it's a technique with limited appeal and limited utility, but when you need it, you need it.</p>

<p>If you really want a replacement for your 15mm I'd expect you could find a used one either at B&H, KEH or Adorama or on eBay. Don't know what the current price would be though.</p>

I have the 8-15 and like it a lot although it is not an everyday lens. I still have my 15mm and may be willing to sell it

although I like its small size. The 8-15 is almost as big as the 16-35 F2.8 and has a vulnerable front element and a

uniques lens cap system. While the 15 mm is surprisingly sharp the 8-15 is even better. It is best to think of the 8-15 and

an 8mm and 15mm lens as you don't use it like a zoom.

<p>I have the Sigma 8mm fisheye and I've found it hard to find good pictures using the 180 degree angle of view. Partly because of lack of practice I guess.</p>

<p> 437V2650

<p> 437V2956

<p>On a crop body the 8mm fisheye is like a slightly funky ultra-wide-angle giving a (=) shaped image. But I imagine you are using full frame.</p>

<p>Hi Bob,<br>

Sorry to hear you broke your 15mm lens - but I can recommend the EF 8-15mm as a worthy replacement. I don't use it so often on my travels, probably less than 2% of my shots, but I usually try to squeeze it in my bag. On a FF camera you can use it at 14-15mm without seeing vignetting in the viewfinder. Any less than 14 mm and you start to notice corner vignetting, any less than 13mm and you start to see the hood. If you take off the hood you can go to 12mm and still have an image edge to edge. From 11.5mm image starts to shrink from the sides until you have the circular image at 8mm. Most of my shots are at 15mm, a few at 14mm, very occasionally 12mm and 8mm but never between 8 and 12mm. Keeping the camera level gives a straight horizon, but you get some interesting distortions as soon as you tilt the camera.<br>

Example 1: As shot at 12mm (couldn't get the whole crater in at anything more than 12 mm)</p><div>00c2bM-542864784.jpg.3c616466a786601f31edb06c9d15db27.jpg</div>

Hey folks! Thanks so much for the photos and the referrals with getting another fish eye brands. I'll decide what to do in a few weeks when I have some extra money to play with.

I'm using full frame cameras, I have a few of those 1Ds MK 3's. I don't plan on making a switch to those new still/video cameras.

I will also seriously consider the sigma 15. I need to go to a well stocked store here in Los Angeles and take some pictures. Based on the suggestions I'll try the ones listed above and decide what to do. Samy's is a good store.

I really enjoy the fish eye look, but I only use it probably 4 to 6 times a month. I'll keep everyone posted. Again, thank you.

Bob, I'll read up on your review.

<p><a href="/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=1060032">There are two examples here.</a> The first is on and APS-C (at 10mm) and the second on a 5D (at 8mm).<br /> I haven’t used the 8~15 F/4L at a Wedding, but, I pulled out and posted that first example (the Bridge) especially for you. That shot is one from a practice session I did when I first bought the lens – I was playing with how I might use it as a Portrait Lens – for example the couple situated at the far end of the Bridge.</p>

<p>I also have a 15/2.8 and have found to a very versatile and useful lens and have using it for many years: I like it a lot – but I don’t use it a lot.<br /> I bought the 8~15/4 as a real “luxury” item – I didn’t need it at all I just wanted it. And certainly my business didn’t need it.<br /> I find that I really have to think about how to use the 8~15/4, whereas with the 15/2.8 I just “know” how to use it. Perhaps I will learn the 8~15/4 with time and as I use it more often I think that will be the case – as I have not used it all that much so far. And I think that the trick is to very slowly zoom the turret as 1mm difference is a VERY BIG difference in the final image and it is easy to miss how much of a difference that is when looking through the viewfinder.<br>

I relate strongly with Philip Wilson's comment about "thinking of the lens as either an 8mm lens or a 15mm lens" - although I have found that the zoom function is more useful (actually quite useful) and I use it a lot when the lens is used on an APS-C camera.</p>

<p><strong>Speaking from only a business perspective</strong>, if I were in your position:<br /> - if the EF 15/2.8 could be fixed for a couple of hundred then I would have it fixed because as a business purchase, I cannot see the 8~15F/4L being a big extra money spinner for any Wedding and Portrait business for the money that you have to outlay to buy it.<br /> - if the 15/2.8 is not repairable for a reasonable cost and the funds were available: then I would buy the 8~15 F/4 as a replacement lens for it.</p>

<p>The fact of the matter is – if you buy the 8~15/4 as a replacement for your broken lens, you will have a 15mm F/4 fisheye which adequately replaces the 15/2.8 and as a bonus you also have all the other Focal Lengths, which you can play with.<br /> The fact that it is F/4 (and not F/2.8) doesn’t matter at all, because we both now have cameras with much more than an extra stop of ISO Speed, than when we bought our 15F/2.8 lenses - so it is still easy to use the 8~15/4 in low level Available Light at the Wedding Reception (as one example).<br /> <br /> I have not used the Sigma Fisheye so I am limiting my comments only to the two canon lenses.</p>

<p>WW</p>

William although I have an APS-C body ( the 7 D) somehow I have never used the 8-15 on it (I just use full frame). Thus I

have never used the alternative range or the lens hood part of the cap. I use to have theSigma 8mm fisheye and the

canon is much better - especially at the edges ( my sigma was the later F3.5 model)

<p>My complaint about the Canon 8-14mmL is simply that it is a much larger lens, which makes little sense to me, where space and weight is always at a premium, for a lens that is used infrequently. But I can see that Canon made it to make a true fisheye for both APS-C and FF simultaneously. I am sure it is really good.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>I tried the Sigma 15 and didn't find it near as sharp as the Canon beyond the center field, where it was very good. I've gone back to the Canon 15mm.</p>

<p>Regarding the 8-15mm, is anyone using that with de-fishing software? I use DxO Optics Pro with my 15mm, but I've been reluctant to go to the 8-15mm unless I can find a good de-fish software for it. DxO doesn't support the 8-15mm</p>

<p>I use a Tokina 10-17 on both APS-C and full frame cameras. On APS-C it creates a rectangular image and fills the frame from all 10-17mm. You can use the zoom to reduce the fisheye effect as well as the field of view. I prefer to use it on a full frame camera where you're limited to 15-17mm before the built in "hood" starts showing around the edges. With either camera it makes a very decent rectangular fisheye image that fills the frame on both camera formats. It's also small and relatively inexpensive.</p>

<p>Bob - sorry to hear about your lens.<br>

I had the opportunity to use an 8-15mm lens at a Canon promotional day held at a go-kart centre. I used it on a 5D Mk iii (lovely camera). I particularly wanted to try the lens out at its widest setting for the full circular fish-eye effect. Needless to say the first photograph I took included the lens hood! As you know you need to remove that if you want the full circle.<br>

I attach a photograph I took of one of the go-karts. I regret that I did not shoot the image on Raw (I was unfamiliar with the 5D) as I may have been able to remove the chromatic aberration around the edge.<br>

I ended up feeling that I would only use the lens at its two extremes and that I wouldn't take enough of the full circular image to warrant purchasing it over my existing 15mm.</p><div>00c2tc-542894484.jpg.bb6688ecd726a87e629375be25189415.jpg</div>

Wow! Some of the posted photo's are really fun to look at and fantastic as well! Many thanks for showing some of your examples as well as helping me with non canon lenses. All of you are great!

I still haven't made a move yet. I worked today. My hot rod car decided to start leaking oil. I usually do my own work however I went to the Dodge dealer and had them change the oil. Well the dang tech forgot to tighten the oil filter. Words cannot describe how angry I was! Well between the wedding and the oil leak there was no time to have some fun at the camera stores.

The problem with the lens was me getting pretty mad at Canon USA. It would take them 6 weeks before they would look at it. They have 3 pro types of services, each one costs a bit more money. With Nikon the pro service is free.

Well I sold the lens not knowing that Canon discontinued this great 15mm lens. How dare them do this without permission from me! hehe life goes on. After selling the 15 I figured I'd just go to the store and buy another one. No such luck.

I'll figure what to do this week. I want to test all of these different lens makers. Actual testing, Take a mess of photos with each lens and pick out the sharpest.

<p>Don't fret. Plenty of the EF 15mm f/2.8 fisheyes are still available on Ebay and other sources. I bought one this week to replace my Sigma and the results are very pleasing. Here's de-fished sunrise from this morning:</p>

<p><a title="Sunrise at Cherry Creek State Park by dcstep, on Flickr" href=" Sunrise at Cherry Creek State Park src="http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5525/10104099494_d67c229fe8_c.jpg" alt="Sunrise at Cherry Creek State Park" width="534" height="800" /></a></p>

<blockquote>

<p>My complaint about the Canon 8-14mmL is simply that it is a much larger lens, which makes little sense to me, where space and weight is always at a premium, for a lens that is used infrequently. But I can see that Canon made it to make a true fisheye for both APS-C and FF simultaneously. I am sure it is really good.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Or they could have made an APS-C fisheye like Nikon or they could have not discontinued the EF 15 f2.8 fisheye to keep the existing customer base happy. Glad I got my EF 15 fisheye when I did.</p>

<p>Does any lens truly ever become "unavailable" these days of eBay and a well-developed used market?</p>

<p>I personally found a used, discontinued Sigma 15-30mm rectilinear lens which served my uses better than a fisheye would have.</p>

<p>Even the very rare lenses seem to show up sooner or later, if you are patient. As I write this, there are at least two EF 15mm f/2.8 lenses offered on US eBay, 4 on Amazon, etc., for example.</p>