Talk Me Into It!

daniel_moorhead

<p>I am a hobbyist who shoots grand kids, flowers and landscape. I have a Canon 60D and a faithful 5D Classic. I use them both and readily see the differences as well as the similarities. All but one of my lenses will fit the 5D. My question revolves around the technology, or rather, lack of technology, of the 5D. The camera is several years old and is getting kind of long in the tooth. I recently had it serviced by Canon which included reattaching the problematic shutter. The camera has been certified as being up to factory specs. A really great camera. It still does very well for its design, but my mouth is watering to upgrade to a 6D. I know the 6D has quite a bit of technological advantages, including video, that leave my old 5D in the starting blocks. The biggest disadvantage, at least as I see it, however, is the low ISO range of the 5D as compared to the 6D, which, as I understand, does very well in low light.<br /><br />I would appreciated anyone who has used both the 5DClassic and 6D to give me some insights, recommendations and ownership advice and comparisons. Many thanks in advance.<br />Dan</p>

<p>See <a href="/equipment/canon/eos6D/review">http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/eos6D/review</a></p>

<p>The 6D is a nice camera and gives you WiFi, GPS, Video, Live View, more pixels and an extended ISO range, as well as a bunch of other bells and whistles.</p>

<p>The 5D is still a very good camera (I still use mine). If you need any of the new features, then the 6D is a good upgrade. If you just take still images and don't push the ISO too high, the 6D might not give you much more than the 5D. Flowers and landscapes don't need high ISO. I guess grandkids moving around indoors might.</p>

<p>I have and used for years the original 5d and loved it. I purchased a 6d a few months ago. It was worth the upgrade for me for two primary reasons that relate to your question.</p>

<p>First, with respect to kids, I shoot a lot indoors, and the low light performance of the 6D really is stunning--at least compared to what I was used to with the 5D. This makes a big difference to me (and, the center focus point is more sensitive too on the 6D which is nice).</p>

<p>Second, for landscapes, liveview on the 6D makes a huge difference for manual focusing (though you may have already experienced this with your 60D). I don't use liveview otherwise. I prefer the viewfinder. But to get precise focusing for static subjects it's wonderful. </p>

<p>Bob +1<br>

I did 'upgrade' to the 5Dii at the end of its run, when I saw that what was new on the 5Diii was mostly stuff I didn't need personally.<br>

If the 6D had been around then, I would have considered it too. My daughter got my 5D and is still very happy with it. </p>

<p>When I got a new longer telephoto of higher quality a year or so ago, I finally decided to get a larger pixel APS-C camera so upgraded to a 50D since it was both cheap and adequate for me, and I am very happy with that. For what you're shooting you probably don't <strong><em>need</em></strong> to go anywhere.<br>

Whether you <em><strong>want</strong></em> to go newer, is an altogether different question, isn't it?</p>

<p>Thanks for the input. Referencing the WANT of a piece versus the NEED of a piece is always the dilemma that we face when contemplating a new replacement purchase, be it camera, automobile or even a spouse. Proudly, my spouse and I have been at it together now for almost forty-four years with no major thoughts of trading or selling. As far as the 5D/6D issue is concerned, my heart says to go for it and purchase the 6D while my logical mind tells me to keep my money and the 5D. I know that in the long run my photography will not be significantly affected with the new purchase, but I really would like to have those new fangled features and capabilities included as part of the 6D. Where is that darned coin that I use to make these decisions?<br>

Thanks<br>

Dan</p>

<p>Video is big for many shooters, but since the iconic 5D MkII didn't tempt you, then I doubt you'll find that a huge attraction with the 6D. I shoot the 5D MkIII and, based on published comparison test at places like DPReview.com, I think the biggest gain you'll see, if you use it accordingly, is much improved high-ISO performance.</p>

<p>You clearly feel about this as I do about the new Mac Pro:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I totally don't understand all that stuff, but I want it.<br>

Jessica Simpson</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm pretty sure that, given the wherewithal, you would not regret getting the 6D. ;)</p>

Daniel, first of all, thanks for giving me todays chuckle. How I wish there was more lightheartedness on these forums.

Like other responders, I will say you won't be sorry if you "upgrade". I have owned the 5D but sold it when I moved to the

5Dll. The most used improvement, to me, is the live view. I never shoot video, but live view provides the very welcome

way of accurately setting focus (when one really needs to have it accurate). I had read about it long before I actually

started to use it, always thinking it wasn't something that was going to be so important to me. I was wrong!

Another slight advantage to the 6D, so far unmentioned, is the slight reduction in weight. Like me, I suspect you are no

longer a spring chicken and weight is becoming (by the minute?) a significant consideration.

The 5D will always hold a special place in most peoples hearts (who have used it) as it really is/was capable of

magnificant images.

Good luck with your decision.

Dan, I too have been contemplating a purchase, in my case the 5D Mk iii, for over a year. My 50th birthday is next week, I have the

money, and as I reminded myself in a conversation with my husband last week, ”You only live once, so do the things you want to do!” I

can afford it, and I'm replacing a really old camera, so why not?

And we've been married for over 22 years. He's well trained by me and a really good guy, so I won't be upgrading him :-)