like a particular model,I don't need AF yet and I am just looking for

a new body

Out of the loop Jim

The FM3 and FM3A are one and the same. Officially, Nikon always

calls it the FM3A.

<p>

The FM3A is very much an updated FE2, with the same overall

size/shape, control location, and viewfinder layout. It

will be a very easy transition from an FE2 to an FM3A.

<p>

The F3HP (there is no FMHP) is a completely different camera.

It was Nikon's top of the line professional camera when it

was introduced in 1980. Its build quality is better than

the FE/FM series, and

it featres a wider variety of professional accessories,

such as interchangable finders (including the HP finder which

is a joy to use with eyeglasses), a choice of several databacks

to print data in the frame or between frames, bulk film backs

to hold 250 exposures without reloading, a motor drive that

is better, faster and quieter than the MD-12 for the FM/FE

series, ball bearing film transport (very smooth

wind action), compatibility with all of the older Nikon

lenses (the FM3A can't take pre-AI lenses without modification,

and can't take certain fisheyes at all), and other

stuff I'm forgetting. The main body is only a tiny bit bigger than

the FM/FE series cameras, but the prism is significantly

larger.

<p>

On the down side, it has a slow flash sync speed and a nonstandard

flash shoe. I don't find its LCD viewfinder display to be

as intuitive as the match needle of the FE/FE2/FM3A.

Production stopped recently, so it's not available

new, but clean (and not-so-clean) used copies are available.

<p>

Both the FM3A and F3HP are manual focus, aperture

priority autoexposure cameras that take Nikon AI lenses.

<p>

Both cameras are described on the

<a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/usa_group/group.jsp?cat=1&grp=6">

Nikonusa.com</a> site.

I believe there is no separate FM3 and FM3A, they are the same camera. There is no such camera as a FMHP, perhaps you mean the F3HP?

The FM3A is very similar to your FE2, with the addition of full manual operation if the batteries die. The F3HP is an older design pro-quality Nikon. Either camera would be a worthy back-up to your FE2 (or vice-versa).

Differences: F3HP has a larger brighter view-finder with alternative interchangeable viewfinders available for special purposes, it will show you 100% of your image, versus appx 93% on FM3A. It has a wide array of accessories available for it, compared to FM3A. If you do a lot a flash work, then you should be aware that the F3HP has a flash sync of 1/90, compare to 1/250s on an FM3A (or FE2). This could be problematic for fill-flash work.

Both are great cameras, the FM3A will share any accesories (like an MD-12) that you might have for your FE2. The F3HP uses different motor-drive (MD4), screens etc.

Its also worthwhile to add that the FM3A can read DX codes on film and has a window on the back to see the film loaded. It has a dimpled pressure plate (probably bad for Kodak IR film). Most importantly IMO, it uses the aluminum shutter like that of the late model FM2n cameras. The titanium honeycomb shutter on the FE2 is very delicate IMO. Many reports of broken shutters in the FE2. I handled the FM3A in B&H a couple of months back and it seems like a nice camera. Certainly comparable in quality to any of the FM/FE series.

The F3HP is definitely my camera of choice. Yes it is weak in the flash department but you already own a very capable FE2. The MD-4 motor is an awesome piece of machinery. Really, its the best motor drive Nikon has ever made IMO. If you go with an F3, just make sure you get the HP finder if you wear glasses (and maybe if you don't). Try to find a later serial number and one that doesn't look like a photojournalist used it as a hammer every day (because he probably did!).

Either of these cameras will probably relegate your FE2 to backup status...

<I>Most importantly IMO, it uses the aluminum shutter like that of the late model FM2n cameras. The titanium honeycomb shutter on the FE2 is very delicate IMO.</I><P>

Not to nitpick or anything; but it should be pointed out that titanium is far stronger than other metals, and a honeycomb structure far stronger than a flat surface. Earlier versions of the FM2n actually had a titanium, honeycomb shutter (I own one of those); and this was replaced by Nikon's standard, smooth (but generally reliable) consumer grade shutter (probably to maintain/increase margins by lowering the "cost of goods", when it was decided to keep the camera in production). I'm not aware of any shutter complaints (titanium honeycomb or otherwise) involving the FE2 (but perhaps others can verify).<P>

To answer your question, Jim, the FM3A would be (as has already been said) most like your FE2 - actually, an improvement. On the other hand, the F3HP would be, while somewhat different, a considerable upgrade (if you don't use flash a lot).