New Limited lens lineup

steve_t.1

<p>The term <em>Limited</em> here seems to be used to suggest "select" rather than not-up-to- full-capacity.</p>

<p>I was somewhat pleased to see that they seem to have abandoned the name "Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company" (PRIC), and are now just Ricoh. Much as one would like the Pentax name to live on, the acronym was not great.</p>

<p>-if it was any design for flashes it very proper add booth on moving part to match WR specification -it does very sound like battery door. (not saying about sp coating mandatory value ,they put this as extra price request )</p>

<p>JDM. they must have realised what PRIC implied to English and USA speakers. It brings to mind a model of Honda motorcar that was called Fita and became a national joke in Sweden, being an extremely crude word for the female genitalia (I think it became the Jazz). PRIC is the male counterpart.</p>

<p>Interesting post and looks promising for the K mount. I have been on the fence for quite some time, love the K100D Super, FA 35 and FA 50, happy with the DA 50-200 and AF360 FGZ, ok with the DA 18-55 for basic use in a pinch.<br>

Recently I have been looking at Nikon and have considered switching. The Limiteds have always appealed to me but I have wanted to go WR for my camera and gear for some time. Living in one of the coldest, foggiest, rainiest, windiest places in North America, sunny days are a rarity. I'll be considering shaking the FA 35 and FA 50 on ebay to get the WR DA 21 and WR DA 40. Christmas is around the corner and my wife just got a sexy new HE washer/dryer set so I'm due for a new Pentax body! Lol.<br>

I think the red detail is Ricoh putting its own stamp on the Pentax brand. It looks consistent with the 50mm GR lens. Making the brand their own means they will be less likely to change the qualities that Pentaxians expect.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Agree with others that the new flashes are probably more significant (though even pricier than before). The 360 <em><strong>finally</strong></em> gets the swivel it has long-deserved. In addition to the battery doors I believe they have more rugged feet as well, this was a common failure point. Hopefully the bounce/swivel lock is a little more secure and can better handle the weight of attached modifiers.</p>

<p>Looks like the 540FGZ II may no longer support the TR power pack?</p>

<p>I believe the HD coatings are somewhat like Nikon's 'Nano' coatings and have already appeared on Pentax's DA 560/5.6 and on the D-FA645 90/2.8 Macro. I think the red ring also (unfortunately IMO) appears on these lenses. The new designs are attractive but I wish they'd kept the green rings as they are uniquely Pentax. I wouldn't want my snazzy Pentax glass to be confused with Rokinon or Canon.</p>

<p>Also the term 'HD' is now a silly, overused buzzword that's been applied to just about everything in the last five years. I wish they'd stick with the more unique, trademarked 'SMC' label. </p>

<p>Good to see Pentax/Ricoh showing continued interest in refining their products. I don't think this one will cause existing DA Limited owners to 'upgrade' but there's nothing wrong with making your products as good as they can be, and at least I don't think this is going to significantly decrease the value of my Mark I DA Limiteds.</p>

<p>I have nothing against Ricoh but will be extremely saddened & disappointed if they ever stop branding these products as Pentax.</p>

Duane, I appreciate your attraction for having a Pentax Limited lens. Their compact design, excellent optics and outstanding construction make using them on a compact camera body a uniquely Pentax experience. I have a set of Limiteds, both FA and DA, and know of that experience.

I see no evidence, however, that the newer upgrades include WR. The SP coatings are anti water spots, and have been there on all DA Limiteds right along, but that does not mean having a WR seal as part of the lens mount.

I think your most logical advancement would be to keep your excellent FA 35 and 50mm lenses, and simply add the DA 21m Limited, old version or latest design. It is a wide angle lens which your FA 35mm is not on a DSLR. It is no doubt in my mind the most versatile FL of the Limiteds. I use mine a lot and love the results it has yielded. But your two FA prime lenses are much faster glass than any of the DA Limiteds. Having an available aperture of f/2 or below is great for low light shots and faster shutter speeds, brighter viewing through the VF, and for reducing depth of field to blur the background behind your subject.

"Their compact design, excellent optics and outstanding construction make using them on a compact

camera body a uniquely Pentax experience."

Not that unique anymore though. You can get that experience from Fuji or Olympus now. The FA series

were excellent, but the DA were a compromise to produce compact lenses that are no longer that compact

- some are excellent, some are good, some are not so amazing, and all are slow.

What Ricoh needs to eventually do is to start putting out some new products instead of rehashing old

Pentax designs. It's been 2 years since Pentax was acquired by them and the only new products are the

560/5.6 lens showpiece and a belated 50/1.8 lens; everything else is an upgrade to an existing product.

During this time Fuji has created an APS-C system from scratch, and a great one too.

PS: Sorry for the formatting - PN is acting up.

<p>I also suggest for Duane that he consider upgrading to a K-5 along with the DA 21mm f/3.2, which is not a fast lens but not "slow" for a WA lens. f3.2 is a slight compromise but not much different from f/2.8 for shutter speed. DOF reduction is usually not of much concern with a WA. For FF/35mm film there have long been excellent 28mm f/2.8 lenses by various brands including Pentax. To get such in a meaningfully faster design like the Sigma f/1.8 means large heavy glass as a necessary side effect.</p>

<p>Interesting that Pentax was well ahead of the curve in introducing slower f/4 premium lenses in its lineup some time ago. Pop Photography recently featured an article discussing the advantages of this approach.</p>

<p>The superior craftsmanship and construction of the Pentax Limited lenses is legendary. Of course that is reflected in the price, which is actually reasonable when compared with other makes having exceptional caliber of craftsmanship.</p>

<p>A Pentax Limited lens on an exceptionally well built yet compact camera like the K-5 certainly comprises an ensemble that is unusual in the DSLR world. Hard or impossible to find another well-featured magnesium alloy-body DSLR with pro style controls, in body SR, WR, which is that compact, along with a lens of such matching compactness and superb construction. Duane, your K100D is a nice camera, but the K-5 is virtually of the same dimensions while being at a whole other level of camera. You would quickly learn its on body controls and would be amazed at the efficient usablity this camera offers. You would also notice a difference in image quality, especially when using that DA 21mm or the other fine Pentax primes you already own.</p>

<p>The original K-5 is still a great camera. The K-5II has an upgraded AF system which tests indicate will focus in more extreme low light, but no advantage has been yet shown in tests for normal lighting, even dim lighting. There may be other differences, but these seem to be minor. There may still be some great deals on a new original K-5. I'd suggest to check Amazon.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>BTW Duane, for WR use, if you can do it I recommend also acquiring a Pentax 18-135mm zoom lens for drippy conditions. It has a great AF system, nice handling, and very compact for a wide range zoom lens. Along with my super WA Pentax 12-24mm f/4, I take that zoom lens lens in my bag along with my Limiteds. Those 2 zooms plus Limiteds have my shooting conditions, FL needs, portability, and high quality needs pretty well covered. </p>