Battery Pack BP-E1 and EOS 3 - Batteries???

philgeusebroek

Since the BP-E1 was originally for the EOS-1, maybe the warning has to do with the body. <BR><BR>

The PB-E2 for the EOS-3 allows Lithium, Ni-cad, whatever, so if you're using the BP-E1 with a EOS-3, I'd think you'd be fine.

<BR><BR>I might email Canon and ask just that question to be sure though.

The BP-E1 is just a passive battery holder. It's the attached camera that determine the types of battery that can be used. All cameras can use NiMH and NiCd. The early EOS-1n cannot accept Lithiums due to the higher voltage. Don't know about the EOS 3.

Canon states: Lithium AA batteries should NEVER be used in the BP-E1. This is because the initial voltage of these batteries is greater than 1.5 volts. Because the BP-E1 is simply a battery holder and does not contain any electronics or voltage regulation circuitry, this voltage is fed directly to the camera.

I would not risk using them with the EOS-3, or the EOS-1, 1N or 1V, for that matter either. Besides, there is no practical advantage as the camera performance is not enhanced in any way and they are very expensive to boot. Any other type AAs are a safer (and cheaper) choice. I think alkaline AAs are the best choice because switching between the 2CR5 and the AAs then provides the same 6 volts. Rechargeable NiCd or NiMH batteries are also OK, but provide only 4.8 volts.

Bill Goldman said: "I would not risk using them with the EOS-3, or the EOS-1, 1N or 1V, for that matter either. Besides, there is no practical advantage as the camera performance is not enhanced in any way and they are very expensive to boot."<BR><BR>

First, my PB-E2 specifically says lithium are ok to use, so I don't see any risk there.<BR><BR>

Second, there is at least one advantage to lithium, they are quite a bit lighter, that can help your neck...<BR>