Autocord screen, cleaning.

lcd

I have a new Autocord III camera that is in really outstanding condition.

The only problem are few dark spots, probably dust, on the lower side of the ground glass in the viewfinder.

I was able to open it and I tried to blow the dust away but it wont come off.

Is there a safe way of cleaning this without damaging the glass?

Thank you.

Yes, you're right. The screen is not removable, but I noticed that it is fairly easy to open it by unscrewing the four little screws that are

holding it down in place. So, I was able to access the dirty part of the glass. I was just wandering if there was a safe way of clean in it.

Thanks.

<p>Its probably necessary to remove the screen from the hood to clean it properly. I've not done this with an Autocord but they are usually held in by two spring clips. The screen may consist of two parts, a ground glass screen and a Fresnel panel to brighten the image. Or it may be in one piece I'm not sure. The Fresnel consists of a plastic screen with a pattern of fine grooved concentric circles on one side - dirt can get in these grooves. I find it quite safe to wash them in pure water with a little washing up liquid, then rinse them in pure water and gently dry them off with a very soft cloth or tissue and allow them to dry. When replacing make sure that the screen(s) are the same way up as before. Watch out for any shims which might be present.</p>

<p>If you aren't comfortable with any of this then its probably preferable to put up with the spots, or get it professionally done.</p>

<p>General cleaning procedures for ground glass, works on plastic fresnels also, may work on focusing screens.<br>

1. hold by the edges only.<br>

2. wet both sides with warm running water.<br>

3. apply a drop or two of dish detergent to one side.<br>

4. <strong>Gently</strong> rub the surface with your finger tips only.<br>

4a. on fresnels rub the ribbed side with the ribs only, never across them.<br>

5. repeat 3 and 4 for the other side.<br>

6. rinse thoroughly.<br>

7. rinse in a weak photoflo solution.<br>

8. stand on edge and allow to air dry, best, or dry with a clean lint free cloth.</p>

<p>Fine scratches may be present on plastic screens and fresnels using a 4X loupe after using this procedure but it is a major improvement over the dirty screen.</p>

<p>Thanks John and Charles!<br /> I tried to follow your suggestions to the best of my skills.<br /> The spots were actually in between the two layers, so there was no way to just blow them away.<br>

I was able to remove the screen and take out the two spring clips.<br>

At this point I did not know how to take out the glass and I felt some resistance. So I just lifted the first layer and run some warm water through. I then dried with the dryer, gently. The spots are gone and the screen is nice and bright.<br>

I am going to post some pictures as soon as I remember how.<br>

Thanks both, it was a great help.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have a similar problem with my otherwise nearly mint Autocord. I wonder if there are replacement screens/fresnels (Beattie?) that might not only resolve the problem but additionally provide higher luminosity.</p>

<p>A plain screen is offered here for $35:</p>

<p>rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html‎</p>

<p>In my case it may well be pitting spots on the mirror, which is another problem</p>