D2x/ D200

swede71114

<p>I have 2 questions 1) When would my D2x have to be put on the shelf in regards to shutter releases, I have close to 100,000 so far, everything still works fine, just curious.<br>

2) I have a problem with my D200, when I take a shot I believe the meter is reading the exposure correctly but when I click the shutter it seems the shutter is open for a ½ a second or so and the picture is over exposed. Tried doing it in manual, same thing happens. I have tried restoring all the default settings and it still happens. My main question would be is worth sending it to Nikon to get fixed ($500 automatic here in Canada). I have a picture but can't figure out how to upload it.<br>

Thanks<br>

Swede</p><div>00buPO-541891684.thumb.jpg.5e54189a956190f853d30d48ba774c0c.jpg</div>

<p>As has been stated above, your D2X will probably last more or less forever at the current rate. As for the D200, the only thing wrong with the attached photo as far as I can see is a slight over exposure and a very wrong white balance. If the WB is set to auto, try setting it to manual, 5,000K or to outdoor, sunshine. If it's set to manual, check the setting and adjust, or just change it to automatic. If that photo was taken at half a second, it should have been blurry, but it isn't.<br>

If there really is something wrong with the D200, buy another one. There are plenty of them around. Or buy a D300, which has better, but not sensational, high ISO and better dynamic range. It uses the same batteries, charger etc. as the D200.</p>

<p>As Jorgen says, the exposure on the D200 is not wrong, the white balance is, just correct the white balance and keep shooting.</p>

<p>Why did nobody notice that there is basically black in the foreground! This "buy a new camera" advice is very poor. Drag the photo into lightroom or photoshop or whatever you use and look at the histogram. The exposure is pretty good considering the constrasty nature of the photo. The white balance is another story.</p>

<p>I'm with the white balance crowd--all 2 of them! The half second shutter you complain about may be nothing more than having the shutter release on some sort of "delay" setting. Sort of like the "mirror lock-up" (which takes 2 presses on the shutter release) this one swings the mirror out of the way, and then 1/2 second or so later the shutter opens/closes--all in the name of reducing vibrations. I shoot a D2X so I don't have all the gory details on the 200.</p>