Reset CF Image Counter to Zero for Five Cards Used in 5D MkII

havanai

<p>I am on vacation and do not have my Canon 5D MkII manual with me. I am carrying five CF cards with me. Is there a function in the camera with which I can re-set the image number, the internal counter, to set the number to zero on all five cards? <br>

The way I have the camera set now, when I put in a new card, the camera’s image-counter starts counting from the higher of a) the number last used in the camera or b) the last image-number on the new card I just inserted. I’ve shot the last 2,000 images with the same card and just shot my 10,038<sup>th</sup> image with this camera. So the counter went to 0038. But if I put one of my other cards in the camera, if the last image I shot with that one was 4072, the camera will number the next image 4073. I want to set the counter on all for cards at zero so I can know when the camera hits it 20,000<sup>th</sup> image. I hope this is comprehensible.</p>

<p>William, Thanks a lot. This enabled me to do exactly what I wanted to do. Turns out my selection is Continuous. But, after putting each of the five cards in, I switched each of my to Manual Reset. Then I went to Select Folder to accomplish the reset. After doing all five cards, I switched back to Continous, shot image 0001 with card A, image 0002 with Card B, image 0003 with Card C, etc.<br>

Funny thing is, I entered the same question to Canon's official support. Good news and bad news: Good news is that the replied pretty promptly. Bad news is they told me I could not do what I wanted to do. Not possible they said. I posed my question to them with the exact same text I entered above, here at photo.net. Glad you had a better answer than they did. Thanks again.<br>

Kurt</p>

<p>William, Thanks a lot. This enabled me to do exactly what I wanted to do. Turns out my selection is Continuous. But, after putting each of the five cards in, I switched each of my to Manual Reset. Then I went to Select Folder to accomplish the reset. After doing all five cards, I switched back to Continous, shot image 0001 with card A, image 0002 with Card B, image 0003 with Card C, etc.<br>

Funny thing is, I entered the same question to Canon's official support. Good news and bad news: Good news is that the replied pretty promptly. Bad news is they told me I could not do what I wanted to do. Not possible they said. I posed my question to them with the exact same text I entered above, here at photo.net. Glad you had a better answer than they did. Thanks again.<br>

Kurt</p>

<p>If I can make suggestion for an alternate to this</p>

<p>I've been using Downloader Pro for years to rename files as I copy them off the CF card.</p>

<p>Downloader Pro allows you to create a custom template for file renaming. An example of my default</p>

<ul>

<li>2013-02-15_01234-5DM3</li>

</ul>

<p>The 2013-02-15 are generated from the EXIF capture date info</p>

<p>The 01234 is a sequential number generated by Downloader pro</p>

<p>The 5DM3 is text that I put in for Downloader Pro to add to delineate between camera bodies.</p>

<p>In addition, I have Downloader Pro set up to automate the directory structure I use for storage of photos. Example</p>

<p>2010's</p>

<ul>

<li>2010</li>

<li>2011</li>

<li>2012</li>

<li>2013</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li> / 2013-05 Detroit Buildings</li>

</ul>

<p><br />Download Pro supports a "job code" field on a download, it prompts me to enter the job description with each download</p>