Nikon 200-400 w/teleconverter

nick_trehearne

<p>It depends on exactly what you mean by "work." You can mount any Nikon TC-nnE teleconverters onto the 200-400mm/f4 AF-S VR, version 1 or 2, and you can use such combo to capture images. I am not very happy with the optical quality from any one of those combinations, including the TC-14E. Therefore, I don't use TCs on that lens. Generally speaking, very few zooms work well with teleconverters. One of the exceptions is the TC-14E on the 70-200mm/f2.8 AF-S, but even so, you are better off stopping down by a stop.</p>

<p>However, your requirements may be different.</p>

<p>I have found it works successfully, meaning IQ is, very good as is AF with the newest 2x converter from Nikon (TC-20e III) but exceptionally good technique is required. But keep in mind, to have AF function as it normally would, you need to use the combo on one of Nikon's newest bodies, like the D4, D800 or D600. I have no experience with the older TCs.</p>

<p>James, I had a totally opposite experience to you - I have found the 20EIII totally unacceptable on my 70-200mm VRII, and much prefer the IQ with my old 80-400mm (in the 200mm-400mm range) and find I get really good IQ on my 200-400mm with the TC, meaning the IQ at 800mm with the TC is superior to that of a 400mm upsized to an 800mm equivalent (this is with the D800).</p>

<p>Thom Hogan has a long review of this lens including the use of TCs, http://www.bythom.com/Nikkor-200-400mm-lensreview.htm</p>

<p>His summary on TC's is, </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Mostly TC-phobic</em>. Not a lens that tolerates all teleconverters well. You can get by with a TC-14E only (emphasis on the "get by"), and the TC-20E III operates well optically. All other TCs are suspect.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The article is very interesting about the lens as well as how it handles TCs.</p>

<p>Later,<br>

Dan</p>

<p> </p>