Canon New F1

r_b_p

<blockquote>

<p>Inferior? Not if you shoot color film. As much as i like the concave 35/2.0, it's worthless if you shoot E-6 or C-41. Much too warm.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Fair enough, Jim, but I meant that the convex is inferior with respect to resolution.</p>

<p>And I do shoot my concave with colour film. I guess my lab does a good job with colour correction.</p>

<blockquote>Inferior? Not if you shoot color film. As much as i like the concave 35/2.0, it's worthless if you shoot E-6 or C-41. Much too warm.</blockquote>

<p>I don't think shooting colour C-41/E-6 would be much of a problem. You get a nice image, a good scan, easy colour correction in Photoshop. What gets me excited is that it's a relatively "inexpensive" lens (not sure if I'm correct on that one... does $300 sound about right?) giving the Leica lens a run for its money.<br>

Now, I worry about Radioactive-ness of it lol. I watched a couple youtube videos about it and it made me all weak at the knees, amongst other things.<br>

For black and white, if it's as good as the Pentax SMC Takumar 105mm F2.4 which I once had (which I think was radioactive as well), it must be a wicked lens. I'm interested. It's all about the tonality of the black and white. <br>

Interesting indeed.</p><div>00bo1r-541205684.jpg.445dc29b17504775a20a12fa9f1c4b29.jpg</div>

<p>I believe the F1N series was the only Canon electronic camera that was built to military specifications (potted circuit boards,generous use of gold plated contacts,premium grade semicondutors,etc) and time has proven they did their homework.All my F1Ns still work flawlessly long after most of the T Series and A Series have started to fail.I do keep a couple AE1p's in good working order as back ups and they too have held up pretty well despite the shutter squeek issue.I dread the day when there are no more competent repairmen who know this model and can repair them when they finally start to fail.Like Michael I love my basic F1N with just a P screen.</p>

<p><em>I believe the F1N series was the only Canon electronic camera that was built to military specifications</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

This may be correct. There were certainly other electronic Canons used by the U.S. military though. Lots of T70s, for example-- U.S. Navy T70s used to come up on ebay frequently, often with features disabled in order to make them idiotproof.</p>

<p>My New F-1 is also my favourite as well. It's the only Canon model I ever purchased New, all the other bodies I have (quite a bit) were purchased used. The seals are still good on all my new F-1s, they were made of different materials than the older ones.</p>

<p>Yes the military did use a lot of T 70's but they were in use for a limited life cycle (not the 30 plus years F1N's have been in use).I always liked T70's and thought they were vastly underrated and have owned many over the years.I have CLA's done but started having problems with some of them about five years ago.If I remember right that was about the time I could no longer get E6 in 24 exposure canisters and started to use 36 exposure canisters from Kodak.Even on the F1N's I noticed the manual advance/rewind took a lot of force compared to the less dense 24 canisters.I think this causes lots of problems on the undersized motor drive in this model.I continued to have the same issue with Fuji film too.That is why I use a AE1p as my back up despite the great loss of a partial metering option.Canon seemed to solve the problem with the EOS line because none of mine act up with the tight 36 exposure canisters.My oldest is a EOS 630 (1989)and that baby has one powerful motor drive!</p>

<p>I have always used 36 exp rolls in my F-1s and other cameras. Its a lot easier to set the motor drive when you have a 36 exp cartridge loaded! I never had an issue with an F-1 or A-1 motor or hand winding the end of the roll. The New F-1 does have a different feel to winding from the older ones, especially if you have a motor attached, but it was never stiff.</p>

<p>I have three New F1's, two of them with the AE finder and one with the eye level prism, and after owning and shooting some of the best pictures of my life them for more than 25 years I've come to the conclusion that if God ever made a better 35mm S.L.R. camera he kept it to himself. </p>

<p>I have two F1N bodies, both with eye level finders. I used to use the F1n for its mirror lock-up feature for some very long exposures to reduce vibration. The T90 is an electronic wonder, sort of. I love the F1N. It is a very well made camera. One of my F1N needed one time an overhaul as it got sprayed with salt water. After a $125 clean-up, it came back to me like new.</p>

<p>Hi there guys! <br>

So just wanted to let you know that I purchased and just received my Canon F1N Standard finder prism. I have to say, it is a <em>very</em> handsome camera. I did splurge a little, getting a mint/like new condition one-- very nice. It looks like it hasn't even been used. If anything, maybe one or two rolls. I'm going to put all my wear on it and it's going to be so beautiful. Brass showing. I'm going to be looking at two lenses this weekend, a 50 F1.4 and a 35 F2. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again for all your help.<br>

p.s. Do you guys think it still needs a new mirror box foam? It looks okay, but....</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>I have three Canon new F1 bodys and the metering on them is phenominal, after more than 25 years use I checked them against a Gossen Lunalite meter of known accuracy on a Kodak 18% Grey Card, and they not only agreed exactly with the Lunalite reading, but with each other precisely.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>RBP, if the foam looks o.k. then you should leave it as is. If you decide to replace it, remove everything (including the finder and the focusing screen), clean off the old one and place the new. This way will save you a lot from accidents especially on the focusing screen.</p>

• 2 weeks later...