Canon New F1

r_b_p

<p>Greetings Gentlemen<br>

It's 2013. Do you guys think its a good idea to buy an F1? May need to be used for street photography. 35/50 mm lens. My concerns are that the camera is kind of getting old (me too). With it being partly electronics, are there parts out there to repare it if need be? I can't be throwing away money. I've always liked this camera and it's one that I haven't had before. It's probably about time.<br>

Thanks for your input. <br>

Richard.</p>

<p>Also, I am shooting digital in Philly and New York, with the D300s with a 28mm DX coverage=43mm, so that will be doing much of the heavy lifting, but I just love film. So the F1 will be an edition to the arsenal (that needs to work for another 20 years). It will be joining a Minolta Hi-Matic 7S with a 45mm F1.8 loaded with Ilford Pan-F. So the F1 will probably be loaded with HP5+ or Tri-X. <em>If</em> you guys come back with good reports about then F1.</p><div>00bnRk-541145784.thumb.jpg.0e5d2aec151f5eebc3a2eb7902c82fe7.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>Do you guys think its a good idea to buy an F1?...My concerns are that the camera is kind of getting old (me too). With it being partly electronics, are there parts out there to repare it if need be? I can't be throwing away money. I've always liked this camera and it's one that I haven't had before.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have three New F-1's (as well as four F-1's) and I expect them all to be working fine long after my newest dSLR has given up the ghost. And although I very much like using my T90's and 1V, the F-1N remains my favourite camera.</p>

<p>At the prices they're selling for these days, I wouldn't hesitate to acquire one, RBP.</p>

Once your New F-1 arrives and you're satisfied with its operation I'd recommend an immediate servicing. Freshly cleaned and lubricated, it will have a new lease on (long) life.

My two oldest Canonflexes are now over a half century old and still 100% operational, and I reckon an F-1 is built at least as well!

<p>Is it true that on the new F-1 in order to have shutter priority mode active, one needs to have attached either the AE Power Winder FN or the Canon AE Motor Drive FN? I've seen that posted in a couple of places on the web.</p>

<p>That adds some weight, bulk and necessitates more batteries. I don't know if that would be a factor in consideration. My only foray into Canon-land is an FTb, AL-1 and AE-1 Program, so I'm not an expert at all.</p>

<p>As you have some Nikon gear and lenses, any thought about an older Nikon, like an F3 or F4?</p>

<p>Over time I've picked up some dirt cheap Nikon bodies ... FE, FM, FM2n, FA, F4s, F100 and N8008 to twiddle away my urges to use film.</p>

<p>Just some rambling thoughts ...<br>

Jim</p>

<p>Thanks guys for your responses.<br>

No, I'm definitely not interested in the power/motor drive FN. Don't need shutter priority. I actually went to go see a Nikon F4 at a local store. Even though it's a very nice camera, I felt a bit sick at the idea of putting AA batteries in it. And the meter being off at least two stops put me off. Nikon FE- No. FM- No. FM2- No. FA- nice, but no. F100- I feel sick again. The only one there is the F3. Great camera.<br>

So what's the going price of a clean, adjust, and lubrication for the F1? Who are the top guys for that?<br>

I have thought about the cleaning, but I don't really <em>want </em>to<em> </em>think about it. I'd love for it to be good right out of the box.</p><div>00bnUP-541148784.jpg.116c5a1e2e0fdf80263d23875967d5a1.jpg</div>

<p>My vote goes for F-1 original or F-1n, both totally mechanical with no aging electronics. These cameras are over 40 years old. I've owned and used both. My goal has been to stay with mechanical cameras rather than battery dependent models with too many bells and whistles. When I desire total automation, I resort to cameras in my digital stable.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So what's the going price of a clean, adjust, and lubrication for the F1? Who are the top guys for that?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My three F-1N's needed (at most) to have their mirror foam and light seals done, as do all older bodies, but their shutters and meters were and remain dead accurate. My F-1's, on the other hand, all needed to have their shutters calibrated. I also had their meters recalibrated so they'd accept readily available batteries. There is no battery issue with the F-1N.</p>

<p>I've never spent more than $90-100 to have a body CLA'ed.</p>

<p>Ken Oikawa is the most recommended FD technician in the States. His contact info is:</p>

<p>28288 West Worschester Rd<br />Sun City CA 92586<br />951 246 9136</p>

<p>Thanks Mark. I was hoping for just light seals and mirror foams. $90-100 does fit in my budget.<br>

Now the F-1N is the <em>new</em> F-1. Am I correct?<br>

Thanks very much guys. I do appreciate your help.</p><div>00bnVv-541150784.jpg.bf2c6daad1fdd217aacb26d0a37ba000.jpg</div>

<p>Got an F-1n and an F-1N (New F-1). Like them both, and nostalgia makes me favor the F-1n, but for everyday shooting, I take the F-1N (New F-1). I love the meter, which is spot on, and uses a readily available battery. Had Ken overhaul it when I first got it (for like $123). Now I love shooting with it. </p>

<p>Hope to have it till I stop shooting.</p>

<p>Best,<br>

-Tim</p>

<p>I agree with Mark, my F-1s (F-1, F-1n and F-1N) will probably outlast many of my digital SLRs.<br>

<br />Like others have said, the least you will need to do is have foam and seals replaced. Ken Oikawa is the master of all things Canon FD.</p>

<p>All the cameras I own Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Minolta, etc. I come back to the F-1s (and my EF) as my favorites.</p>

<p>Ed</p><div>00bnX2-541151984.JPG.a226da34c9e6f9bb89607c6c2ce07e05.JPG</div>

<blockquote>

<p>Now the F-1N is the <em>new</em> F-1. Am I correct?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, that's correct. The original F-1 was introduced in 1971. The camera was updated, with a few modifications, in 1976; this version is sometimes referred to as the F-1n. The New F-1 (aka F-1N) was released in 1981, and is a completely different camera.</p>

The new F1N by far IMHO the best built SLR manual camera body ever manufactured. After reading all

the literature on it's construction I was sold on it in 1996. Recommend the winder if you shoot portrait

mode. Lightweight without batteries & a better grip. http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/fd/winder-fn.htm

Canon F1N World book still online somewhere. Most currently selling for around $300. A bargain.

<p>That's a really handsome camera you got there, Ed. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I've just had my F-1 AE back from an overhaul with Ken.<br />I'm actually considering selling it. Let me know if you're interested. I have the winder as well.</p>

</blockquote>

Let me ask you some questions. When was it serviced by Ken?

What's the condition of the camera say with a reference of KEH?

What kind of focusing screen? What is your asking price?

And are you any where near the New York/Philadelphia area?

I have seen one with an Aperture-Priority AE Finder with a 50mm F1.4 for around $450. The condition was excellent. Just a little bit of brass showing near the straps, but very nice. Is it a good price do you think?<div>00bneZ-541167084.jpg.5051fcc1b2bcc92970ed0552c83da9de.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>both totally mechanical with no aging electronics</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'd argue that the electronics, as such, are less likely to "age" than are mechanical parts, but all the same, any of the F-1 models that has not been through the wars (often literally) should not be anywhere near "wearing out".</p>

<p>I've used the original F-1, and its update, the F-1n for over 30 years and it is still my favorite MF camera. About a month ago, I finally broke down and bought an F-1N with AE Finder FN. I bought it off the auction site. It is in great condition and I picked it up for what I consider to be a great price: $139US. After using it for a while now, I'll say this: previously I didn't believe that there was a more robust camera than the original F-1. I've changed my mind. The F-1N is just this side of indestructible. I'm sure I could pound nails with it if I had the need.</p>

<p>About a week after I bought it, I bought my preferred focusing screen for it, the PC flavor (partial metering, plain matte screen), from KEH. Just last week, I bought a Motor Drive FN for it. A great motor drive -- quite a bit nicer than the giant MD MF for the original F-1. The Winder FN is lighter and more compact, but I opted for speed this time. I have a winder on my old F-1.</p>

<p>As for durability, these cameras just last and last and last. I have no doubts than my F-1N will outlast any DSLR I have bought or will buy in the future. As for price, it seems we are experiencing a downtrend in prices right now. I believe this is because of buyer antipathy on eBay, and that now is a really good time to buy. Just a year ago, an F-1N like mine would have been going for at least $100 more than what I bought it for.</p>

<p>Wow! $139? great deal.<br>

So Mark, how many F1Ns do you have? Four? Would you consider letting on of yours go to a good home where it would be loved and cherished and put to work right away?<br>

So I understand there's a good lens for black and white? The SSC?</p><div>00bnfU-541168784.jpg.114e57cef181cd5a33fed745bad18df5.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>So Mark, how many F1Ns do you have? Four? Would you consider letting on of yours go to a good home where it would be loved and cherished and put to work right away?<br />So I understand there's a good lens for black and white? The SSC?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have one F-1, three F-1n's, and three F-1N's (as well as three EF's). Although I've lately been selling off some of my FD gear, I'm not prepared to let any of those bodies go just yet. :-(</p>

<p>The lens you're alluding to is the FD 35/2 SSC concave, with the thoriated element. That element yellows over time, rendering it an effective built-in B&W filter. It's also one of the sharpest SLR lenses ever made. There was a later, inferior 35/2 SSC without the radioactive element. It's easy to tell the difference between them: the superior concave version goes to f/16, while the inferior convex version goes to f/22. I have a copy, but it's one of the FD lenses I will be keeping. :-((</p>

<p>No problem, Mark. Those are some fighting words about the 35/2 SSC concave. I bet you didn't say that on the Leica forum. They'd be foaming at the mouth. So you're saying that that lens is in the same class as a Summicron IV version King of Bokeh? Damn.....Now that's exciting. It's fun to learn about new camera systems. <br>

Thanks again!<br>

Over and out.<br>

Richard</p><div>00bnrd-541185484.jpg.9c26f8e839337c24cb39f1c94bbe8e6e.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>Leicaphiles wouldn't be pleased either with their beloved Erwin Puts' glowing praise of the Canon FD 55/1.2 Aspherical, but credit given where credit's due!<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Erwin's always liked F-1s. I sold him an F-1 body (original) about ten years back. And he's right about the 55/1.2 ASPH, it's superb.</p>