Getting powerful flash off camera on bracket, a sample rig

GerrySiegel

<p>I have long been enamoured of flash, especially the powerful and versatile Olympus FL 50. Nothing new from Panasonic and no pop up flash has the capabilities to do fill and low light shooting or even comes close. As we know, on camera direct straight on flash is not so hot, and we can't always tote a lightstand to a party or event.<br />So...best thing is to think of a flash "bracket." With reasonable balance even for small camera / big flash. One that is quite affordable and not so well known is made by Manfrotto. (photo) High or how very high do you want the flash? ...as high as you can manage and need. Can it be managed in practice? Well it does break down to fit into a bag with some modest effort.<br /> Results allow experiment with light over the subject, at forty five degrees and you name it. FL 50 will do fill in beautiful TTL. Defaults to 1/60 but go to manual, set your P and S and it still connects with the Lumix cameras ( Olys as well of course). One thing I had in my junk pile was an old Stroboframe bracket which had an aluminum platform. And an RRS clamp that Bryan Geyer actually gave me- long story. I disemboweled the old MF bracket and adapted the platform to the bracket assembly and it works well. A handy shop person could easily make a platform from sheet aluminum with a 1/4 inch knob. So, for the flash inclined, I will show a photo of my rig. Actually one of my rigs, and the other is made from an old Sunpak pistol grip ( for another day).... Hope this inspires some flash lovers and flash experimenters with the great old FL 50. Not A Frankenstein creation in fact....honest.... (Vello brand EOS cum Oly Pana cable with full TTL naturally. Changes FL with lens and all that good stuff)</p><div>00btGg-541770184.jpg.cafd734499be95d8e3d67768b25e17b5.jpg</div>

<p>I use a Stroboframe clone with the 90 degree camera rotating plate plus FL-50. Flash modifier is either a Diffusit (Demb clone) or Fong Dong clone. Unfortunately, with the OMD the pre-flash and delay is so obvious in TTL AUTO mode that it's next to useless in fast moving situations or where your subject suffers from 'blinkies'. Ordinary AUTO works pretty well though, but you lose AUTO ISO if that's important to you. TTL AUTO with AUTO ISO on the other hand keeps the camera at base ISO and maxes out the flash output before raising ISO - unlike my D7000 which for some reason sticks ISO to 400 in auto ISO and TTL flash.</p>

<p>Sample of the off camera rig in a moderate height, ( full height will stretch the cable more than I have tried) full auto, TTL, P mode 1/60 second default. My beautiful Hawaiian model poses again for free :-). As to balance, what can I say, it sits steady and holds fine for me....weight distribution is the key. Both hands are active. Yes, I have a Stroboframe folding and Flip too. I like the height capability and yes even the ability to place the flash over the camera like the flip types, only higher.....having a platform to rest the contraption is probably the best twist....make one if you can.</p><div>00btPr-541787584.jpg.291286475f5ede4a35431d0080d48f55.jpg</div>

<p>If you fancy softer shadows, flatter light, shoot at even slower speeds (dragging shutter as they term it) or better yet, put strobe on a stand with an umbrella gizmo or have it held by someone on a monopod. My ceilings are kind of high for bounce, another way worth trying. Has its drawbacks too, like racoon eyes and color shifts. A wall if available is useful since FL 50 rotates. Try everything. FL 50 is kind of heavy to sit in a Lumix hot shoe, I use another little devil, the old non TTL FL 20 in auto mode and set up in one of camera's Custom modes just for that sometimes. It works. More powerful than built in and saves battery power to boot. Many say phooey I hate flash and won't use it at all.....is that not because one has to think things out a little more? (Don't answer, I do understand...)</p>