Canon 60d rubber grip self fix

pascalb

<p>The grip of my 60D is getting loose, after more than two years. Now I figured out where to get the replacement part in Switzerland, as I would like to fix it myself. <br>

Has anybody done this? Is there anything special I should be aware of? Any hints?</p>

<p>I would think contact adhesive would be the more appropriate stuff. You would peel the grip off, clean and dry both surfaces, getting as much of the old adhesive off as possible. Apply contact adhesive to both surfaces. The when the adhesive is mostly dry but still fresh, CAREFULLY mate the two surfaces. (You won't be able to reposition the grip once it's stuck.) </p>

<p>There is a possible way to make Sarah's contact adhesive solution a little less "get it right or live with it".</p>

<p>That's to use CameraLeather's "wet method" (<a href="http://www.cameraleather.com/support/wet_method.htm">link</a>) trick of using a little gel hand cleaner (the kind with no oils or perfumes in it*) on one of the contact adhesive surfaces. Then it will slide around, and once it is in place, you can leave it alone and the gel will gradually evaporate and the seal will 'take'.</p>

<p>DISCLAIMER - I have tried this with various kinds of contact type adhesive surfaces, but not the specific application here, so try it at your own risk. <br /> ______<br /> *- evaporate on a mirror first to see if any residue is left</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<p>The problem with these grips seems to be that they expand over time and no longer fit the space alotted to them, therefore replacing them, rather than regluing them seems to be the better way to go. The new rubber formula apparently does not have the expansion problem. This happened to mine right after the warranty was up, of course. I managed to keep the stretched and peeling covers on until about a month ago, when the rear cover fell into the sea! now I have to do something.<br>

I would recommend a repair shop, but I have found at least one online retailer who lists a kit for sale (as well as individual peices and tapes) as a genuine Canon part. No way to verify the authenticity without seeing the packaging, though:<br>

http://www.uscamera.com/60dcoverset.htm</p>