Dagor 77 on ebay

tim_atherton2

Tim,

I bought a Graflex hard case from him last year. Since it turned out that I live in the San Fernando Valley and he is in Hollywood, we decided to meet at his local watering hole.

An interesting fellow. Irish I think, with an amusing manner and equally entertaining brogue to his speach. Says he shoots LF and ULF. Gave me a little discount for the face to face cash transaction.

It think he's legit. But where in Haddes does he get all of the interesting glass and A. A. Yosemite hotel menu prints from the 40-50's? I dunno.

I have purchased a number of items from him and all were as described or better. Never a clunker or misrepresented item. Well packed & shipped quickly. Enjoy the descriptions & fun he has with the ads even when I am not bidding on what he is selling.

Sure has a lot of stuff, doesn't he?

For what's its worth, I've been following Dagor aka Andrew Glover, for several years, and have communicated with him several times; and bought from him. As far as I'm concerned, he is great. Always replies to communications, is friendly, bright, witty, and really has some incredible stuff to sell. (I believe he is from Scotland)

i know what you mean tim.

i have been checking his auctions out for a while, and he always

has cool stuff for sale, and he knows a ton about what he sells,

so he is able to answer questions ... unlike some sellers who

email back " sorry, i don't know anything about this thing i am

selling, what is a shutter?"

about 2 weeks ago he was selling a book on laszlo

maholy-nagy ( bauhaus- guy who discovered the "photogram" at

just about the same time man ray discovered the"rayogram").

nothing like an auciton that starts at 77¢.

- john

tim, I bought my 10" Wide Field from Sir Andrew of Glover. A fine lens from a fine gentleman. To answer the question as to where Dagor 77 gets his goods, I believe he might be dealing in items obtained from the Photography Room of the Topkapi Museum when thier world famous Goerz Collection was liberated by Greek patriots in retaliation for the Parthanon being used as a powder magazine by the Turkish Army and damaged by the resulting, very predictable explosion. I am pretty sure my WF Ektar was once a trinket George Eastman offered for the favors of his upstairs linen maid at what has become known as the George Eastman House(rumor has it that she referred to Mr. E as "Georgie" or "Big Yellow" and He gratefully named D-76 in her honor: Daphne, employee Number 76) Whether any of this is true, I cannot say.......Cheers!

"So, what's the point, Tim? Just because you're in Canada, why should you question him? What does it matter WHERE he gets it?

What have YOU been smoking?"

I didn't ask anything about where he got what?(except maybe his happy juice...).

There's an old dictum about passing exams that runs; "READ THE QUESTION, READ THE QUESTION." I think it should be applied to the internet "READ THE MESSAGE, READ THE MESSAGE".

This was a light hearted post about the quys quirky e-bay postings - nothing more. A guy who, by all accounts is a charming, honest seller. No-one ever said anything different

Jesus Alec - chill out man, it's Christmas. Go take a few happy pills.

(hey, and what have you got against Canada, anyway...!)

I've bought a few items from Andrew as well. Perfectly decent fellow, and happy to answer questions about his favorite lens. I once sent him a query about Goerz barrel lens flange threads, figuring he was the only person likely to know. He does have an astounding quantity of this stuff.

He used to include a scan from a color tranny taken with each lens. It turned out to be a very useful reference for comparison, because he always shot the same scene, which imagine was a parking lot behind his apartment building or townhouse.

Yes, Andrew is one of the most fascinating and honest sellers on Ebay. I love his imaginative stories and quirky descriptions. I've bought a number of items from him, and every one has been accurately or even conservatively described.

One of my favorite items was a 610mm APO Nikkor that lacked lens covers, so he threw in a makeshift cover that just happened to fit. It was the plastic lid from a container of grated parmesan cheese, and I got it for free! :-)

...Did I forget to mention the Schneider I bought from Dagor 77 that he might have obtained from a side bet on the outcome of an International Chess Match in Bangkok? Apparently it was smuggled out of occupied Poland by a Romanian Gypsy Concert Violinist in '39 or '40,hidden in a jar of vegimite to outfox customs, and travelled across the Siberia Railway to Port Arthur fastened to the garter of Kiki de Montparnasse, where it made its way to tattoo parlor in Manila run by an elderly Abyssinian Coptic Monk, by way of Goa and Singapore, where the coating obtained a few cleaning whisps(nothing that would effect the image!), being a souvenier of a close encounter with a Mitsubishi "Betty" on the strafe---but I digress! Dagor 77 kindly provided a retaining ring hand made by Congo Pygmies under the watchful eyes of no less than Albert Schweitzer, constructed out of recycled Portuguese license plates! Another Great Lens! My only reget is that I couldn't work Lichtenstein, Korea, the Innuit, Coney Island, Jimmy Hoffa, or Argentina into the story!

I tend to follow his auctions most weeks. I'll say this. You all think his ending prices are low??? Yikes-) Outside of a few older things with problems almost anything interesting goes for more then the same thing from other good sellers. A couple of weeks ago he sold a 4x5 camera like mine except the one he sold lacked a GG and might have had other minor issues. The final price was more then my mint camera cost me. Relative to some of his other stuff it went cheap.

Why? He writes well enough. He is obviously trusted. He has something interesting every week so that means people will check his auctions out of habit. He answers his email quickly.

I have purchased several things from Andrew. When I first met him 3 years ago he and a couple other guys were working out of a photo studio in the Butterfield and Butterfied auction house building. Don't know if they worked for the auction house or just rented space. I asked him if he got stuff from Butterfield and Butterfield and he said no. Perhaps they are a good souces of leads for him though. Since alot of his lenses are process type, and with most of the US already converted to making printing plates digitally, I think he may be getting things from his native Scotland or Europe where the printing industry may be lagging behind the US counterpart. He is an excellent source for ground glass and much cheaper then Stephen Shuart on larger sizes.

Dagor 77 is a smart fellow. He knows that most bidders don't know how to play the game so he is not afraid to start even very valuable items at 77 cents because he knows that many bidders will bid against themselves and he will always get at least a fair price.

He is a pleasure to do business with.

Dagor77 has some of the most entertaining and creative descriptions/stories. A real character. Heck, I find myself checking out his auctions just to read what he has to say, regardless of whether or not I'm interested in bidding.

Where ever he gets his steady stream of lenses, I don't know. He must be well connected. I have purchased from him and have nothing but PRAISE.

You mean he makes all that stuff up? You mean all that cloak and daggar stuff and the old tumble down log cabin almost totally buried with the letters and Dagors inside isn't real??? I thought if someone says it on EBAY it HAS to be so!! I'm another happy buyer and would agree that he mostly gets more than the stuff is worth because of his grand reputation and his enjoyable prevarications. Jim Galli aka Tpahjim

Dear Gentlemen -- Dagor77 to you... was Love Master Andrew Glover to me (he has no middle name).

We would go on treks all over and he would come back with cases full of beautiful looking lenses. He cherished each lens like a prized pet.

Looking back now, I was often amazed at the exciting adventures we would get into. His search for rare Goerz lenses would take him to some rather exotic faraway places.

We haven't dated for several years now, and he swore that if I ever told anybody where we went to get the lenses I would not live to tell the tale. In fact he always carried a blowpipe with lethal darts with him at all times. He said it was for any "negotiations gone wrong".

It's rather stuffy in here, let me open up my bedroom window...

Where was I? Oh, yes! Lenses places... Here is the list of where Dagor77 gets all his lenses.

1. The Edinburgh Opti....Ow!! I've just been stung by an insect...I'm feeling very dizzy at this moment. I'll finish this list after I've had a beauty nap.

Love and hugs... Asian-gem