Daylight-Exterior Strobe Tests: Nikon D800E

studio460

<p>One more thought ... I would say that inconsistent shade may be a more frequent issue to work on solving. Dappled shade on the subjects can turn them into a spotted Dalmatian.</p>

<p>For example: For this wedding, the Bride wanted to quickly stop at a park in-between the church and reception venue. It was almost 100 degrees out that day, (so hot my assistant got sick), so we couldn't walk very far or waste any time. When we arrived the sun was almost directly overhead ... the only shade was somewhat dappled and the backgrounds were positively nuclear ... again causing a contrast gap only solved by using strobes. In this case, a Quadra with a beauty dish on a mobile boom arm camera left just out of frame that was set to 400 W/s ... and an on-camera TTL speed-light for fill (about 480W/S total). What little dappling that was left, was easy to deal with in post. The trick is to keep it off the faces, which are harder to retouch.</p>

<p>-Marc</p>

<p> </p><div>00bbck-535071584.jpg.0936100665450f0573251d758ab4db19.jpg</div>

<p>Ok i will be brave and put up a bad lighting picture. This was in Las Vegas at Red Rock. This was about an hour before sun set yet still no break in the desert and the client obviously wanted the red rock mountain behind them. F16 100sec profoto acute 600 fill. I then insisted we drive a little further and found a lower elevation that was in shade. About the last 20 minutes the direct sunlight becomes very soft and you can get nice shots with the subject facing the setting sun. </p><div>00bbcy-535077584.jpg.a348b3fb86aae00fb38fc183b2b19c99.jpg</div>