Anybody using an EF 24-70/2.8 L II on an APS-C body?

mark_pierlot

<p>I use my 24-70 on my 5DII with excellent results, and have also been pleased with it the few times I've used it on my 7D. The reason why I'm asking the question in the subject line is that I just got back from a trip during which I used my EF-S 15-85 (as well as my 70-200/4 L IS) on my 7D, and noticed that the focal lengths I used were all in excess of 24mm.</p>

<p>So I'm wondering whether it makes sense to hang on to the 15-85 when the 24-70 could do an adequate job for me at 70mm and shorter. I realize of course that I'd be missing IS, but I think that the greater speed and IQ would more than make up for that deficiency.</p>

<p>Mark - I think it largely depends on whether you think you'll have any interest in subjects requiring a wider field of view, ever again. I sometimes go through a trip, or even a longer period of time, where I don't use a particular lens but find that a few months later its back in the bag because longer, or shorter, or brighter, or faster is important for something I've become interested in. </p>

<p>The 24-70 rocks on a full frame camera, I never liked it on my 20D with the 1.6X crop factor. It was never wide enough. At a wedding I would have to sit on the next table to take a picture of the group at another table. For this reason on the 7D I think you would want to keep the 15-85 since its really a 24-136 on that body. For something more extreme I got the 15mm fisheye to give me a wide and funky look and it saved my ass a few times. I used the Sigma 10-20 for a while on my old 20D and I liked that. Sometimes you need it wide. </p>

<p>There is always that situation where you just can't backup far enough and risj cutting out something important otherwise. Also, i prefer to have IS. it will give you better IQ in certatin circumstances over and L-series lens without it.<br>

I chose Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VR because I need speed, IQ and IS the Tamron also has great build quality. However, I shoot full frame with a 5D3.</p>