Canon 1.8 LTM chrome NOT serenar

joe_kallo

Howdy all,

Anyone have any experience with this lens? I picked one up very cheaply at a

recent camera show. I thought it was the serenar but those were apparently

1.8s. Again this is a 1.9 but chrome and very heavy--similar in appearance/

weight to a Summarit .

I shot a couple of rolls with it and found it pretty soft wide open and becoming

more acceptable by f/4 or so. I remember reading somewhere on the web

that these guys were supposed to be pretty comparable to the same vintage

summicrons. I almost grabbed a collapsible summicron instead; are they also

soft at f/2? For the heck of it, I've included a picture from the test roll--I know

you can't really tell anything on the screen, from a crappy scan.

Joe<div>004Bqq-10554684.jpg.5d29f3005aee8d4d043dab89f92505df.jpg</div>

I had one many years ago. It wasn't a bad lens but not great wide open, not in the Summicron's league. The later ones from the 1960's were better. They were black and chrome. The best normal optics of that vintage would be the 50mm Nikkors. Both the f/2 and f/1.4 were as good as they got back then! And not half bad now.

If you have a 50mm f/1.8, chrome, marked Canon (not Serenar), then it's newer than the Serenar, but essentially the same. The coatings may be different from the Serenar.

If it is a 50mm f/1.9, then it's older than the 50 f/1.8 Serenar. Canon was very proud of the 50 f/1.8, and it's not surprising if the older 50 f/1.9 is softer wide open. The Serenar 50 f/1.8, and the subsequent "Canon" 50 f/1.8 versions (both chrome and black) are quite sharp wide open. The black one is much lighter.

Since you got it very cheaply, maybe you can find situations in which you like its look.

I have the Canon 50/1.8, 50/1.2 and the 35/1.8. All in my view are fairly good performers wide open. They are not up to current Leica lenses but they all beat my beloved 'lux 35/1.4 (non-asph.) in terms of flair control and sharpness. The 35/1.8 is especially good and was my standard 35mm for years.

If you can find a Canon close-up thingy for your 50/1.8 you can really have fun.