Capture NX2 not reading NEFs

alastair_anderson

<p>No, you don't need View NX2 (though it's actually kind of helpful as a high-speed way to browser through and score files before opening them for editing in Capture).<br /><br />What you probably need is the latest VERSION of Capture NX2. It's a quick download from the Nikon web site. It will install right over top of your existing version. While not likely an issue, make a point of having a record of your serial number in case it's needed for some reason during upgrade/re-install. Putting in the new version only takes a few minutes, and you'll be up to date.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> The glitch seems to have gone.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not a glitch, but as designed ... Programs like these do not and should not update files in your camera, so you'll Always have to lupload (down ???) into your Mac, or PC before processing / changing it by a program running on your PC/Mac....</p>

<p>I don't believe there's anything about the design of NX2 that prevents it from opening a file from <em>any</em> location. My Windows version 2.3.2 opens NEF files direct from a CF card in my card reader without issue or a warning dialogue.<br>

It's not as if it's automatically going to overwrite the file unless specifically asked to. - Unlike the awful MS Windows Picture and Fax viewer, which will rotate and overwrite a file without let or warning!</p>

<p>The latest version of Capture NX2 2.4.3. If you do not have this version go to <a href="http://www.nikonusa">www.nikonusa</a> sofware downloads and get it. Make sure you read this first:<br>

This is the <strong>Capture NX 2.4.3 software download</strong> - This software updates Capture NX 2.3.0 - 2.4.2 to version 2.4.3. You must have Capture NX 2.3.0 to 2.4.2 installed to perform this update. When this updater software is run, it may be necessary to enter the product key again to confirm ownership of previous version of this software.<br>

It could be that the version you bought is not current for D 800 files and it has to be updated. This unfortunately happens all the time with most software. The first thing I do after loading any new software is to check for updates.<br>

Joe Smith</p>